Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Jammed mixer wheel was : Re: Forms



Turn the differential around. Or you could move your hitch to your front bumper and push the mixer.   : P

My differential is welded to the frame, so turning it around would not be so easy. I drive it with a shaft from the rear of a pickup so I just keep the pickup in reverse. If I weren't so lazy I'd turn the pickup around and use the other wheel but that would involve jacking and moving blocks and disconnecting the shaft, and stuff like that. I don't rev it much anyway since it is fifty years old and hard to find parts for.

It might even turn out to be something else, but check the hard steel ring that holds the seal in place around the yoke. If it is damaged then that gear might be slipping down under load conditions. Grab your blade and see if it'll go up and down, especially while turning. After I chipped a couple of teeth I can still mix fine in the right direction. YMMV. I took the back (bottom) off and got the chunks of scrap metal out, of course. That could be what's hanging yours up.

One mixer that I sold had a tube from the fill port on top out to beyond the bottom of the tank, then turned up. It was slow, but it did let you fill it. I fill mine with a transparent hose and a bottle with a spout that fits the hose so I can force it by squeezing. It's not easy getting the plug in and out, but it is possible.

Spaceman

Ron Richter wrote:

Spaceman,
Looking down on the blade it does turn clockwise.  So how did you get it to turn counterclockwise?  Does anchoring one wheel automatically make it turn the other way?  Or did you control it by mounting your drive different?

Next summer I am going to rebuild it anyway, I was just hoping to finish this project this summer before I had to tear it all apart.  I also have a Ford van that runs fine but a cottonwood limb (big) landed on it and dented the body so I am going to use it as power for a stationary mixer.

I think the pinion gear is the culprit.  I just jacked the recalcitrant wheel and it will turn OK but ocasionally gets "hung up" and there are some loud screeching, thunking noises coming from the differential.  Wish there were an easy way to fill it with oil (catching the fox after he has left the chicken coop devoid of any live chickens)
Ron
 
No virus found in this incoming message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 8.5.392 / Virus Database: 270.13.23/2254 - Release Date: 07/22/09 05:59:00


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___