Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Nirvana



I would love to but I have a couple of things I'd have to work around.  First and foremost thing is travel.  I absolutely refuse to travel by air any longer.  The last time I flew I almost had a heart attack the way they pulled me aside because I didn't act like a sheeple and take my shoes off without any sign or instructions and walking through the metal detector.  Some woman who goes home at night and yaps all in people's faces with the "yo momma" this and "yo daddy" that became my kindergarden teacher and flogged me for being a little kid and not understanding that I must respect the ex-welfare recipients of America and pledge my allegience to their almighty authority as if they invented the whole darn universe.  They had to swab my shoes and put the swabs in some machine that sniffed for explosives, and they would not allow me to touch them when I offered to take them off so they could just put the whole damn shoe in that machine.. that's about the time I thought they were going to shoot me full of holes and let me leak blood all over the floor with little kids watching and all.  All kinds of people in the airport were looking at me like I was a terrorist.  Really?  Really I was just minding my own business in line. I did not see any signs about taking my shoes off, what a silly concept. Who woudl ever want to take their shoes off and put them in the x ray machine? That's just... not American.  Anyway, I'm almost certain I got on some no-fly list somewhere because I didn't mind read them correctly and was figeting in my seat there with everyone looking at me the way they did, and even if I'm not on a no fly list I just plain don't want to fly anymore if I'm expected to yield myself up as if I'm some sort of human chattle.  Why, that's just not not me.  I'm an anarcho-libertarian who knows gosh darn well that I'm a sovereign being created with inalienable rights of life, liberty and pursuit of happiness and while I'm mentioning that, Judith, if I were in your shoes, I would just build my darn house and sit at the front porch with my shottie and a sign out front that reads No Trespassing and if they tried to tell me to tear down that building, I'd take a few with me before I visited the afterlife.  
 
hehehe.  well, maybe that's a bit harsh sounding but gosh darnit, I'm an American!  I'm like a REAL American!  endowed with the real American pride, the real American spirit!  150 years ago I'd be one of those pioneers we read about in our history books that a town was named after or whatnot.  Ingenuitive, intelligent, and not yielding to some dictatorial entities that seem to think I owe them some sort of allegience or servitude.
 
So, that means I'd have to drive... or I'd have to train it out there.  Training is not really any quicker than driving.  And I don't really want to drive by myself.  However, there's someone I believe I read about in this forum that lives in SLO county who might be wanting to go there....  my truck fits plenty of camping gear.. I've got several tents, bags, air mattresses and cots, camp stoves, BBQ's, 5 day coolers (that really are good for 5 whole days and more actually) and a very nice Jose Ramirez guitar for the campfires, oh and I'm owed 80 hours vacation (2 weeks) .. I don't know.. this thing happened so quick with you guys its like you decided to do this thing in two days and then voila it was all setting up to drain and dry hard as a rock...   
When is this conference again?  I would like to meet others with kindred spirits and inventiveness and all that good stuff....
 
 

 
On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 3:12 PM, Evelyn Vollmer <evelynanne8@gmail.com> wrote:
 

It would be great if you could come to NM, Perry.


On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:54 AM, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 

Thanks Laura and Perry. I was always told I was stubborn. Thanks for framing it in a more positive way.

Laura, yes please post some pictures. I am planning a new very important project and I think your method would work well for me.

I don't know where you live but if you are at all able to do so I would love for both of you to come to the gathering in Sept. Your kind of innovative thinking is something we could all gain from.

From: lauranfriends@yahoo.com
Date: Mon, 27 Jul 2009 05:12:49 -0700

Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Nirvana

 
I ditto that "incredibly tenacious" thanks for sharing that we are all going through at one time or another... especially with the solo building projects....

Was wondering if making the "forms" with papercrete or cardboard-crete would allow one to keep them in place longer  or even just leave them in place... just a thought....

and I've started using pulleys by drilling a hole in the 4x8 osb board stringing up to a higher point using an old cut up electrical cord... then when it's up higher I go to the other end and have lifted it up with another cord or by hefting it up then screwing it in temporary place with drywall screws.... this was done recently on my 12x24 pole barn that was open on two sides... now I have an enclosed space but now have a backing for the paper crete to laid up on... and when done I can just unscrew the 4x8's and reuse them for another project.  I painted the boards, with cheap masonry paint and from a distance it looks like stucco... which when I get the paper crete going will coat the exterior the same color...  will post pictures when I get the footing done and have laid a bit of papercrete...

again thank you for sharing your "adventures"
Laura


--- On Mon, 7/27/09, Perry Way <perryway@gmail.com> wrote:

From: Perry Way <perryway@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Papercrete Nirvana
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, July 27, 2009, 12:19 AM

 


You're an incredibly tenacious woman Judith.  Thanks for sharing this story! :)
 


 
On Sun, Jul 26, 2009 at 6:08 PM, Bob <criswells.ok@ sbcglobal. net> wrote:
 

If you made a video of this event I want to buy a copy!!!!!

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@ ...> wrote:

 
I had quite a day yesterday. I wanted to try my new idea of embedding
 blocks in a slip form wall. Of course I got off to a bad start by
 getting started too late. It was almost noon with the temp in the high
 90s. I am a wimp in the heat, but I had a friend volunteer to put a new
 fuel pump in my jeep and didn't want to appear to be abandoning him. So
 I got out to my place at high noon and couldn't find the pump to
 inflate the soccer ball in my mixer. Rigged up this thing I found in
 the borrowed truck I had so was able to get to ball inflated. Am now
 using cardboard in place of newspapers. Not sure how I like it. The
 cardboard had been soaking for a week and was smelly with ugly water
 all around. Couldn't find my rubber gloves so had to just dig in and
 get my hands dirty. Mixed it up and it came out OK, except for the
 plastic that gets all wound around the blade. But then I had to rig up
 a scaffold because the wall is way higher than I can reach. So I got
 the ladder for one end and a combination of papercrete blocks and 2 saw
 horses stacked up for the other end, and 2 roughsawn 2 x 4s for the
 plank. A chair to get up to the plank. 5 gallon buckets filled with
 slurry transported into the building over a little bridge/ramp thing,
 then hefting them onto the plank, climbing up and down, trying to lift
 the buckets so as not to disturb the form which was tentatively held on
 one end with a screw in the rotten part of the upright post. Screw came
 out, got put back in, broke off and held the form about 1" out from
 where it should have been. Eventually got all the forms moved up and in
 place, laid the blocks in between and poured slurry all around. Not
 bad. Waited a half hour or so, moved the forms up again (no small feat
 for a person working alone), set more blocks and started to pour again.
 Then I noticed that the previous pour was coming apart, detaching
 itself from the embedded block and falling off. So I quickly got the
 cordless drill again to move the form back down. Dead battery so I had
 to keep changing bits (some screws are phillips and some are torque, my
 favorite. I have a drill for each). Finally got the forms back down but
 the wall was ruined so I had to scoop out what was in there and put in
 new. Took all the buckets of slurry down from the planks, back into the
 wheelbarrow, back into the mixer with more water, drove around the
 block again but the mixer wasn't full enough for the blade to be
 effective so the slurry stayed dry on the bottom and wet on the top.Had
 to hand scoop the slurry into the block forms. Also had to detach the
 mixer from the truck so I could move it myself over the forms since I
 had no one to guide me. Got the forms filled. I stripped down and had a
 cold hose shower, opened a beer and was sitting in my chair half
 catatonic and naked when someone drove in the driveway, a person I'm
 not very fond of with his new lady friend. Ran into my shed real quick
 and got presentable. Showed them the papercrete project and treid to sound enthusiastic. They finally left. Wanted to spend the night out there (lots of
 tension here at home between housemates) but my inflatable mattress had
 a leak and the wind came up and it started to rain. So I came home, had
 a good bath, confronted the housemate on problems, went to bed and had
 a great sleep. But I'm beat today and have just enough energy to type
 this little tirade.
 
 
 
Sincerely,






--
Chinese herbals for the Western Mind
www.ozbotanicals.com
Skype~eve8mon





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___