Friday, July 31, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Pressed Blocks



What I really wanted to ask about is the 1, 2, and 3 pictures of your pressed blocks.  Did you use the press you had made with the air assist bottle jacks, or a new method? 

Yes, I used the air assisted bottle jack to make all the blocks and the 4" PVC pipe tube block.

 I still think that is the way to go.  A guy could build bricks all winter and sell them in the spring.  You are in the industry, how much does one of those 7-5/8 X 7-5/8 X 15-3/8 hollowed out bricks run anyway (that may not be the current dimensions as I took the measurements off one laying around here that may date to the 30's)?  If they are less than $2.00 a piece that is probably too competetive for our labor intensive bricks, but if they are closer to 3 then the idea is intriguing.

The price for what they call for is 8x8x16 but your measurements are what they actually are, that allows for a morter bed, and they run about $1.95 each. But you have to figure in additional cost for morter and a brick layer and that adds about$4.00 more to the cost. That is why I think the T Lox Block have it made over the conventional laying method.


I head up the Alcan for Alaska tomorrow so I am in the throes of cleaning up, prepping for the sojurn, and closing the place up for the winter. 
I see a new mixer, an axle change with a vehicle for power, and a press on next summer's agenda.  A stationary tow mixer is going to be parked in the middle of the next structure I build with a mountain of paper nearby.  We'll see.

I going to post pictures of my press as soon as I get time, I think everybody that is thinking about pressing will like the idea. I also have a new idea for a mixer, using your idea of an auger inside a tank running across the middle or bottom of the tank. The setup would be much the same as the tow mixer except it would have four wheels instead of just two, the tank would be placed between the two sets of wheels and the u-joint connection would be in the side of the the tank with the augar on the end of it and it would run across the tank and be supported on the opposit end so it would stay straight, the vortex would run right to left instead of top to bottom. Just something that popped into my head.

You seem to have a goodly supply of paper where do you get it?  When I'm here for the duration (retired) I can set up a regular pick-up route to obtain paper on a regular basis, but I live (as many of us do) out in the sticks so the weekly route will be 60 to 70 miles.

My wife works at a Doctor's clinic with three or four doc's and her clinic, and also where I work at City Hall, it is amazeing how much paper is shred everyday at these places, and they always put it into plastic bags. They would be very thankful if someone would pick it up so they don't have to haul it to the dumpster.

Ron



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___