Friday, July 31, 2009

[papercreters] Pressed bricks



Bob,
Your overhang enclosure looks fantastic.  I am embarrassed to put pictures of my project up after seeing yours.  I wonder if the dryness of your mix has anything to do with the nice regularity I see in your wall.  Or, it could be the clay content (I don't have any here). 
What I really wanted to ask about is the 1, 2, and 3 pictures of your pressed blocks.  Did you use the press you had made with the air assist bottle jacks, or a new method?  I still think that is the way to go.  A guy could build bricks all winter and sell them in the spring.  You are in the industry, how much does one of those 7-5/8 X 7-5/8 X 15-3/8 hollowed out bricks run anyway (that may not be the current dimensions as I took the measurements off one laying around here that may date to the 30's)?  If they are less than $2.00 a piece that is probably too competetive for our labor intensive bricks, but if they are closer to 3 then the idea is intriguing.
I head up the Alcan for Alaska tomorrow so I am in the throes of cleaning up, prepping for the sojurn, and closing the place up for the winter. 
I see a new mixer, an axle change with a vehicle for power, and a press on next summer's agenda.  A stationary tow mixer is going to be parked in the middle of the next structure I build with a mountain of paper nearby.  We'll see. You seem to have a goodly supply of paper where do you get it?  When I'm here for the duration (retired) I can set up a regular pick-up route to obtain paper on a regular basis, but I live (as many of us do) out in the sticks so the weekly route will be 60 to 70 miles.

Ron

Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___