Sunday, July 26, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Papercrete Nirvana



One thing I learned is that if I had several forms and could leave them on longer it would have been fine. I thought of making a form that day to put right above the other so I could leave the first in place rather than moving it up, but I don't keep my tools up there any more since I got ripped off. But I know I could do maybe 4 courses of that 11 foot wall all by myself with one mixer full of slurry. 

And I gave some thought to the problem of hefting all those heavy buckets up to the scaffold. I have a lift table I bought a long time ago and never used. It looks as if I could use a ramp and drive my smaller wheelbarrow right up onto that table then raise the table, wheelbarrow and all up to where I could dip into it with a small bucket and put the slurry into the form.

So next time we have record breaking heat I'll go out there at high noon and see how that experiment goes. Not sure if I will video it though. Oh and by the way, the only reason I didn't video yesterday is I'm getting a weird message on the camcorder saying I can't video. Must look that up in the book.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: ronerichter@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 26 Jul 2009 19:07:43 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Papercrete Nirvana

 


Judith,
All trouble aside I think you've struck an outstanding idea.  If you are in a hurry, you could put a wall up quickly with your tried method.  Remember Edison found over 1,000 ways to NOT make a light bulb before he found one TO make one.  You just needed another form and possibly none of the angst would have happened.  Or a little longer in the form would probably have done the trick. 

Thanks for sharing all the gory details, I was pretty dejected the other day as well when I realized I had spent the better part of two summer vacations building an 8' X 16' shed that had I done it in stick built lumber would have taken me a day or two at most.  It still is not done and I need to think about winterizing the place in Montana and head back to Alaska. 

What you, and now we as well, know is that we can skip that that doesn't work and move on to what does.  I had made some bricks earlier this summer (because that was where I was) and now your method combined with what Bob shared may make it possible for me to not only finish the shed but use those bricks as well.

Keep on keepin on.
Ron



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___