Wednesday, July 29, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Driving to Abiququ for PC meet

Just for the heck of it... and since I already had the screen up anyway when Charmaine's post showed up...

I surveyed along Charmaine's driving route to see what papercrete structures might be along her path that might be worth stopping to look at. Hey... if there is papercrete to see on a rest break, why not stretch the legs and shoot some photos?

Sorry to report that you won't be driving past a lot of papercrete structures. Probably because there are a lot of strict building codes tied with all the urban areas in most California counties, even if you are outside the cities the building codes tend to reach out far. I simply don't see a lot of known Papercrete structures along that path.

Shane Keller reported on Papercreters a couple of years ago that he would be working on a project in the Benbow area along the 101. I don't know the exact location, or the status of the project. I've not received any reports about it since. You'd have to track down Shane to find out if it is worth stopping to look at.

Some gardening beds bordered with papercrete at a college in Flagstaff are the only other thing I see that's DIRECTLY on that path.
http://azdailysun.com/articles/2009/04/16/special_content/gogreen/gg_home/20090416_speci_194652.txt
I'll let you decide if that's worth a stop.


However...I see one structure that in my humble opinion would be worth a side-trip. In Cornville, AZ there is one of the more famous papercrete houses. It happens to be 58 miles (one way) out of your way south of Flagstaff.

Tim Pye's
Casa Wizard Moon
http://www.moonsinger.com/casawizardmoon.htm
Please make sure to click the artistic arrow buttons at the bottom of the pages to move to the next page on that website.


It's just my opinion, of course, but two extra hours of round-trip drive time would be worth it to go see his house.

Of course... you're the one driving, not me. The choice is yours, obviously. For what it's worth, I thought I'd share that head's-up.

Have a fun and safe journey, Charmaine.


Oh yeah... just for fun I compared the Google driving distance from Eureka, CA to
Abiquiu, NM and
Abiququ, NM as Charmaine described in her Mapquest search.
Amazingly they matched exactly!

I guess I'm too Cucoo to find "Abiququ" on Google. (Those that have read my posts won't be surprised to find that I'm Cucoo.)

(Smile Charmaine.)


For anyone interested in the get together with other Papercreters, more information can be found here:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/message/8005

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Charmaine Taylor <dirtcheapbuilderbooks@...> wrote:
>
> wow.. I just ran a mapquest-- for me it will be 1453 miles, and 22+
> hours driving, so 3 8 hour days since I can t drive 12 hours a day
> anymore-- 8 is my full limit.
>
> makes flying sound good, and def. will find a dog sitter.
>
> we have no real airline service to anywhere here, so will also check
> out flying If I must.
>
> the worst part is driving towards Los Angeles, my most unfavorite city.
>
> I MUST focus on the end reward!
>
> I would consider picking up some one on the way!!! ... I can email
> the full route to anyone who is South of me and interested to travel
> along, and share gas.
>
> we could meet up at some point, and either I come to you, or you meet
> me close to the route at a public place where you can park your car
> for a week
> ( I dont really want to drive 100 miles out of the way to pick up
> folks if I dont have to.)
>
> so I am tossing that out as an invite. 101 South from Eureka CA
> thru SF, Bakersfield, above LA, Flagstaff across the 1-40 thru AZ
> to ALbu. to Judiths
>
> am willing to pick up a 3nd or 4th person at short distance too.
>
> email me if interested, and I will send the route I have
> --
> Ms. Charmaine Taylor/ Taylor Publishing
> Toll Free Order: 1-888-441-1632
> www.dirtcheapbuilder.com www. papercrete.com
> PO Box 375, Cutten CA 95534
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/