Monday, January 28, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Prickly Pear

I ask permission before taking it from other people's property. 


You only want the paddles not the brightly colored fruit. I look for big thick green ones as I want a high moisture content. 

They have been easy for me to harvest year round. Since you are in northern New Mexico and I am in southern we have 20 deg temperature difference. 

The juice will preserve with lime. Make sure you get your prickly mix to a beautiful light green color to guarantee preservation.

-Mikey
http://greenacre-hotsprings.blogspot.com


On Jan 28, 2008, at 11:14 AM, JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:

Is there somewhere I could harvest prickly pears? Just go out with my truck and load it up? Is it a seaonal thing? Can the juice be made and preserved somehow? WE have p pears up here but they are very small.
__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___