Wednesday, January 30, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Pulp production

YOur tilt bed truck sounds very promising. I've also heard of people shredding or otherwise pulping the paper and mixing it in a cement or mortar mixer. That's what Lex Terry did for the remote project out on the reservation. He made the ricecake blocks (using just the paper and water) then broke them up into the mixer and added the other ingredients. I suppose if you could "borrow" a level road you could do the same. Things always work out in the end. It's by solvong problems that we invent new and better things and methods.


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: elf@elfnori.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 10:32:54 -0800
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Pulp production

From what I've seen in videos and pictures, you've got a lovely flat place.  I don't.  I'm on a hillside with a flat spot where the house will be and another flat spot where the pumphouse, barn and drive/parking are.  Using the scheme you mention would require an old vehicle . . . and it makes the mixer stationary.  I'm building in three different places in succession, so the ability to move the mixer is a must.  I'm moving from the chicken house to the pumphouse to the people house.  I could conceivably do the pumphouse and chicken house by centralling locating the mixer, but it would put it in the middle of the drive . . . picture Terry not happy.  Picture the propane guy not happy . . . no circular driveway and nowhere to turn around if the weather has been wet.  Not to mention the UPS guy.
 
Having a mixer that works for the location is important.
 
I have a non-operational 2 yard tilt-bed truck with hydraulics.  If I were richer/smarter/knew more (or married to someone with mechanical aptitude) I'd get it repaired (starter solenoid, I think) and mount the mixer on the deck, using the hydraulic pto to run it.  Then I could mix and move and dump without having to pump slurry.  I could use the tractor bucket to load the mixer (bed's about 4' off the ground).  That would rock.  It would be just a bit pricier, but well worth the effort, I think.  I may look at getting it to Gary to fix . . . I'll have to talk to Wad (Terry) about it.  I'm thinking I would be spending most of my time keeping it running rather than mixing papercrete.
 
ElfN
----- Original Message -----
 
Some have made a tow mixer but run it in a stationary mode by attaching it to the axle of an old vehicle that doesn't move. Seems like a good idea to me.




Need to know the score, the latest news, or you need your Hotmail®-get your "fix". Check it out. __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___