Thursday, January 31, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Very Close Call

Hi SG, I am a safety fanatic, and a chainsaw ops and safety
instructor.

This post points out something We need to do , and i will start it
soon. A thread on industrial safety.

Many of our memebers are not coming from a blue collar or industrial
situation, and have never been to a tailgate meeting.
*************************************************************


PC and alt construction are still construction, still lots of ways to
kill or maim yourself!

Today lessonette: ELECTRICAL SAFETY!!!!!!

Go check all your cords, check the ouytlet you use to mix from for
preoper groudn with a 3 light plug in outlet tester, wear DRY rubber
gloves, and ansi rated steel toed boots (for the mixer blade) boots
should also have an ANSI electrical hazard rating when working wet
around electricity. Using a GFI outlet might be a good idea too.

SAFETY FIRST "GO HOME" unhurt at the end of the day!!


**********************************************************

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...>
wrote:
>
> Wear heavy boots.
>
> Why?
>
> Did you hear someone shout a shocked, angry, chagrined, outburst
last
> night? It was probably me! "%$%!@% WHAT THE HECK????"
>
> I was using the bucket method to work with some slurry last night.
I
> had my drill spinning a blade in the bottom of a 5 gal bucket. The
> drill got going a little fast. I probably wasn't paying attention
as
> carefully as I should have been. The blade sliced right through
the
> side of the bucket, through the side of my heavy leather work boot,
> through my sock, and just nicked the skin of my foot. Nothing a
> little anteseptic and a bandaid wouldn't solve.
>
> There have been a few times I've performed that same procedure
while
> wearing old running shoes. If I had been wearing those shoes, I'd
> likely be on crutches right now. I'll never wear anything but
boots
> when working with papercrete from now on.
>
> I'm also going to dull the corners of my mixing blade a little to
> help keep it from slicing through a bucket like that again.
>
> I've inspected my buckets closely, 2 of them are very worn where
the
> blade tends to scrape the side of the bucket. I grabbed a can of
> spray paint and put a big X on the side. No more mixing slurry in
> worn buckets for me.
>
> Think boots make you look goofy? Not having too healthy feet when
> you could have easily kept them healthy would look far far goofier.
>
>
> Please learn from my near miss.
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/