Monday, January 28, 2008

[papercreters] no mimosas for me

Well Slurry Guy, thanks for the nice lazy dream of sitting on the back
porch, but I am going to be working more now and into 2009 than in
the last 7 years I have lived here.

I have been collecting salvage and building goodies for home refurbish
and redesign, and will take the next 3 years to use it up. I thought I
could do both, run a business, and repair the housee, but it never
worked out that way. [I get jealous when I see those home redo shows
that complete a whole room in 2 days- but they just buy everything
and slap up paint & MDF with no concern for being green or recycling
it seems]

I see my recycled building materials as a treasure trove, my neighbors
see it as a junkyard, devaluing their property value, I am sure.
For instance I acquired 18 solid wood doors in all shapes and ages,
condition, and each has been tagged for use,( several have a very cool
beat up "shabby chic" look a 100 years old, and will be used 'as is'.

Besides 4,000+ pounds of new slate, granite and tiles, I have a ton of
redwood T&G plank salvage to make into decks and walls.

Elf Nori has seen the 'Gaia foam" life vest material [ mis-cuts] I used
for ceiling & wall insulation- free, and other re-purposed materials.

I could go on, but you get the point! The traveling will be fun to
visit people, and see new parts of the country, but my main "job" will
be to shape this little "fixer upper" cottage into a decent and comfy
place to live as I become a kickass old lady. ha


Charmaine Taylor Publishing
Green Building DVDs & Books
www.dirtcheapbuilder.com
Tel: 1-707-441-1632 PST Eureka, Calif.