Tuesday, January 29, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Offtopic plumbing - Help!

My son came and did all the pex stuff the last go-round.  If he can't do the same the next time it needs done I'm gonna try and rent what I need rather than buy.  I think I can do that more economically.  I've got some pex I need to redo . . . I want smaller pipe for the hot lines so I don't waste so much water.  Even with a recirculation pump I will want smaller hot water pex as it will save energy.  The recirc pump I need is gonna run ~$350.  A bit pricey, but it's the right pump for what I have now and what I'm planning for the house.
 
I found a solar hot water batch processor yesterday that's got promise.  Evacuation tubes connect directly to the batch storage tank, so the whole thing is one unit.  The tank is a 40, I think, with 3" of foam.  The tank acts as both storage and manifold.  I need to do a little more research . . . but price wise, it looks very promising.  Vacuum tubes outperform traditional solar panels by quite a bit.  Having the tank act as manifold saves muchly on parts . . . As I said, more research required.  Performance is the key . . . I need to find someone who has one of these in use and see if I can get some feedback on performance and required maintenance.  I've got to know what's keeping the heat from being spent at night through the collectors.
 
If I go this route I can set the batch processor inside an insulated box that will take a 4' sliding glass door panel as cover to protect it from October through April.  Or I can set it where I can . . .   hmmmm . . . because I'm planning the system BEFORE building, I can plan a framed in glass covered box set into the roof (end result is flush) that will accommodate the batch processor that will put it right over the top of my mechanical closet . . . easy to get to, easy to maintain and VERY short runs from the tankless water heater.  The downside is I'd have to move my mechanical closet.  Current location is facing more west than south.  Or I can set it into one of my PAHS heat collectors . . . longer pex runs to my tankless, but no extra construction . . . and I don't have to move my mechanical closet . . . The downside of this is, if the pex springs a leak it's more difficult to maintain.  A chase is going to be a must here, I think.  The plus on this is it puts my collector below my tankless, which I like, but the length of the run really doesn't appeal . . .
 
I'm going to make my in-ground PAHS heat collectors out of papercrete.  I can't think of anything more perfect . . . The ones at the Mica Peak house site are made out of cement block or cinder block with a double glazed sliding glass door panel as the cover.  Sure, they're in the ground, but still not very insulative.  I think papercrete is going to perform MUCH better.  Exciting stuff . . .
 
ElfN
 
 
----- Original Message -----
From: slurryguy

With the quantity of plumbing you are likely to be doing over the next
few years in the projects you have planned, you may want to consider
investing in the special tools used for putting connectors on pex
pipe. With the price of copper these days it's wise to look at the pex
option. Some of the special expanders and crimpers can be a little
pricey, but they pay for themselves very quickly. It is worth spending
money on quality tools and not trying to cut corners in this instance.
Nothing is more maddening than trying to put a connector on some pipe
with a less than ideal tool. You'll hate yourself for not spending the
extra $50 for a really nice tool if you get a cheapie. The quality
tool will save you hours and hours of frustration and other expenses.

This won't completely replace the need for solder or sweating certain
joints.

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___