Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''

It's just standard cement. Not premix and not quickset or rapid set.


> lol so I'm guessing a PC door for my Cob oven will work just fine
> thanks
> .... and I will look but I don't think we can get portland cement here in
> TN Ive
> never seen it B4!
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
> To: papercreters papercreters <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
> Sent: Wed, July 6, 2011 6:05:09 AM
> Subject: RE: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''
>
>
> I am jumping into this conversation midstream but thought I would offer a
> comment. Portland cement is the stuff you can get at the hardware store.
> It
> comes in 92 lb bags and smaller ones that you can actually lift into your
> car.
> Don't get the stuff that is already mixed with gravel. It is cheaper but
> will
> not work. You don't want gravel in you papercrete.
>
> I got into looking at cob oven videos on youtube. There are a slew of them
> there, some detailed enough to use as directions. Kiko Denzer uses cob as
> the
> first course that would come in contact with the fire then puts in a layer
> of
> pumice (papercrete would work) and then covers the whole thing with cob. I
> want
> to do one of these too so keep us posted on how yours is coming along.
>
>
>
> Follow progress on the new project at
> http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog
>
> More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> From: honeyland12@yahoo.com
> Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:30:31 -0700
> Subject: Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''
>
>
>
>
> Hello guy's, I forgot to type door, now I feel silly, I meant to type, I'm
> making my 1st Cob oven do you think I could use a papercrete door for my
> oven,
> lol oh goodness, sets shaking her head @ herself , oh and whts
> Portland
> cement? I mean is it a kind of cement or a name brand?
>
> the silly east Tennessean
> Pam
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ________________________________
> From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
> To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
> Sent: Tue, July 5, 2011 8:55:28 PM
> Subject: Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''
>
>
> Cob ovens are made from cob. If you make it from papercrete then it
> will be
> a papercrete oven.
>
> Is that a good idea? Maybe, maybe not. I have read about someone using
> papercrete blocks to line a fire pit, and they said it worked fine. I
> don't
> remember any followup posts about how long it worked fine, though.
>
>
> With the right amount of portland cement then papercrete is self
> extinguishing and just glows from the heat. Since cob ovens often have
> a
> firebox underneath then a papercrete oven might work fine if the
> firebox is
> lined with something else. It might even work fine if the entire thing
> is
> papercrete and you use a cement heavy mix, even a mix with a good
> amount of
> clay. Isn't one of the features of cob ovens that they retain heat for
> hours
> after removing the fire? That is from thermal mass in the cob. Most
> papercrete does not have much mass, acting more as an insulator. A
> massive
> stone or concrete floor might give enough mass.
>
> I have plans for a papercrete solar oven on the back burner, and way
> back a
> desire for a horno. If your papercrete oven works out, be sure to let
> us
> know. I have more access to paper than I do to clay.
>
>
> spaceman All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without
> notice
> upon receipt of new information.
>
> On 7/5/2011 8:26 PM, PamC wrote:
> I'm making my 1st Cob oven and I was wanting to know would it be
> ok to
> make it outta papercrete ??? Thanks
> online go to: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
> (Yahoo! ID
> 1516/3746 - Release Date: 07/05/11
>
>
>
>


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/