Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''



      lol so I'm guessing a PC door for my Cob oven will work just fine thanks .... and I will look but I don't think we can get portland cement here in TN Ive never seen it B4!



From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
To: papercreters papercreters <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: Wed, July 6, 2011 6:05:09 AM
Subject: RE: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''

 

I am jumping into this conversation midstream but thought I would offer a comment. Portland cement is the stuff you can get at the hardware store. It comes in 92 lb bags and smaller ones that you can actually lift into your car. Don't get the stuff that is already mixed with gravel. It is cheaper but will not work. You don't want gravel in you papercrete.

I got into looking at cob oven videos on youtube. There are a slew of them there, some detailed enough to use as directions. Kiko Denzer uses cob as the first course that would come in contact with the fire then puts in a layer of pumice (papercrete would work) and then covers the whole thing with cob. I want to do one of these too so keep us posted on how yours is coming along.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: honeyland12@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jul 2011 22:30:31 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''

 

Hello guy's, I forgot to type door, now I feel silly, I meant to type, I'm making my 1st Cob oven do you think I could use a papercrete door for my oven, lol oh goodness, sets shaking her head @ herself ,       oh and whts Portland cement? I mean is it a kind of cement or a name brand?

     the silly east Tennessean
         Pam                                                    

      
    


From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, July 5, 2011 8:55:28 PM
Subject: Re: [papercreters] ''Papercreters plz help''

 
Cob ovens are made from cob. If you make it from papercrete then it will be a papercrete oven.

Is that a good idea? Maybe, maybe not. I have read about someone using papercrete blocks to line a fire pit, and they said it worked fine. I don't remember any followup posts about how long it worked fine, though.

With the right amount of portland cement then papercrete is self extinguishing and just glows from the heat. Since cob ovens often have a firebox underneath then a papercrete oven might work fine if the firebox is lined with something else. It might even work fine if the entire thing is papercrete and you use a cement heavy mix, even a mix with a good amount of clay. Isn't one of the features of cob ovens that they retain heat for hours after removing the fire? That is from thermal mass in the cob. Most papercrete does not have much mass, acting more as an insulator. A massive stone or concrete floor might give enough mass.

I have plans for a papercrete solar oven on the back burner, and way back a desire for a horno. If your papercrete oven works out, be sure to let us know. I have more access to paper than I do to clay.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  
On 7/5/2011 8:26 PM, PamC wrote:
     I'm making my 1st Cob oven and I was wanting to know      would it be ok to make it outta papercrete ???       Thanks    ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    ----- No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 10.0.1388 / Virus Database: 1516/3746 - Release Date: 07/05/11   




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___