Monday, July 25, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Just joined.



I'm in the desert SW of the US, west Texas, at 4,050' elevation. It's the high Chihuahuan Desert. Since October I've had about 1/2" of rain. Most years we get about 6-7" in late July and early August. It is delivered by afternoon thunderstorms that wander around the valley. Total annual average is about 8-9" but the last few years we have not reached that. You would think that the desert would just suck the water up, but instead we get floods. There are lots of photos at my website, especially in the papercrete section.

For CR, the bamboo construction sounds good. Papercrete is good insulation, but do you even need insulation there? For just closing the gaps between the bamboo slats it could be sprayed on with a relatively thin layer instead of the cement plaster.

In BC papercrete might be more suitable for meeting your insulation needs.

spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  http://Starship-Enterprises.Net blog at http://Starship-Enterprises.Net/wordpress/

On 7/24/2011 5:46 PM, Max Maier wrote:
Hi Spaceman.

Mmmm, monsoon..
Where are you located??

I live part of the year still in Costa Rica (been there for 12 years) so we have a tat of liquid sunshine there too.

I am not sure yet where I am going to build, and am basically accumulating information. I will most likely build with a combination of systems.

In CR there is a system which uses bamboo/caƱa brave (a cane type), which is nailed in rectangular frames and covered with cement on both sides. Very earthquake proof and quite cheap. I am thinking of using the old bamboo style for this, in which the bamboo is split open lengthwise, flattened and than nailed into the frames. Instead of straight cement I am thinking of using papercrete. This will allow me to prefab, since the frames will be a lot lighter. In addition, the frames don't have to be rectangular, but can follow the shape of post which are actual tree trunks and have bends and curves. Many have "ranchos" made in this manner. A rancho is a type of gazebo so it consists of posts and a roof. It is now a self containing structure which is cheap to build (low permit costs as well if that is important) and can be closed in at leisure since on works below the roof in a dry area. Interior walls can also be made in this manner or one can use papercrete blocks.
So I am pretty exited about papercrete. The only problem is that in many central american countries paper is an expensive commodity. 

However, I am not sure I want to actually build there or here in Canada. This depends largely on my business, I have an all natural mosquito repellent which is sluggishly crawling through health canada. In the USA I can manufacture/sell and it is a confirmed exempt product (confirmed by the EPA).

Anyway that is another story, I am right now investigating opportunities to manufacture in the US but need a partnership. this thing has cost me most of my money so far so I need to start making some for a change :-).

Thanks for your message, it was much appreciated and made me feel welcome in the group!

Cheers
Mack



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___