Thursday, July 7, 2011

Re: [papercreters] Cellulose Insulation



Beans, rice and home made bread sound good, but some eggs and salsa and some mexican cotija queso would top it off for me!

I like how fast it sounds to make those insulation batches. What do you think the cost would be per square feet based on a decent thickness? Maybe this technique would be an acceptable cost to some folks, as you say.

Sent via BlackBerry by AT&T


From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
Sender: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 08:17:52 -0600
To: <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
ReplyTo: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Cellulose Insulation

 

No, I can't afford to pay that much for papercrete so won't switch to cellulose insulation as a base material. As you say, even at half price it is still high and I don't have a half price source. I intend to make a paper pulverizer that will produce paper beaten to a pulp, so to speak. I'm considering a couple of approaches, need to experiment some.

Using cellulose insulation definitely would save time and effort during mixing. No need for all that powerful agitation and pounding, just mix the insulation with a little water and stir. For anyone with more money than time and energy it may be worth the extra expense.

The mold I filled yesterday is the first triangular panel for the small dome, 1 out of 150. I won't be able to do #2 today since I have to be elsewhere, but once I get started mixing I should be able to do them all in a couple of weeks. By the end of July they should all be ready to install. I'll have that project to work on, plus the huge hole is sitting there begging for some work. Come on down, I have lots of beans and rice and home made bread : )

spaceman    All opinions expressed or implied  are subject to change without notice  upon receipt of new information.    
On 7/6/2011 10:03 PM, JUDITH WILLIAMS wrote:
Thanks for the helpful information. At one time I thought I was going to be bidding a small papercrete building for someone. It was off the grid and not suitable for a tow mixer. I priced cellulose insulation thinking I would do as you have done. As it turned out the woman decided not to build but as a result of the bidding I developed a relationship with the owner of Applegate Insulation in Cololrado Springs. He was going to sell me a trailer load at less than half retail. Being bad with numbers I don't remember the cost except that it was high. But I can see the advantage of using it for large projects. Do you think it would save time? The Rabons at Mason Greenstar use hammer milled paper in their blocks. Are you planning to keep using it?

 How are you coming with the dome? You have work planned for next month don't you? I have not done anything on my project for about a month. It has been so hot and this smoke from the big fire is awful. Well anyway, if you want some help in Aug maybe I can come down.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___