Wednesday, July 6, 2011

RE: [papercreters] Cellulose Insulation



Thanks for the helpful information. At one time I thought I was going to be bidding a small papercrete building for someone. It was off the grid and not suitable for a tow mixer. I priced cellulose insulation thinking I would do as you have done. As it turned out the woman decided not to build but as a result of the bidding I developed a relationship with the owner of Applegate Insulation in Cololrado Springs. He was going to sell me a trailer load at less than half retail. Being bad with numbers I don't remember the cost except that it was high. But I can see the advantage of using it for large projects. Do you think it would save time? The Rabons at Mason Greenstar use hammer milled paper in their blocks. Are you planning to keep using it?

 How are you coming with the dome? You have work planned for next month don't you? I have not done anything on my project for about a month. It has been so hot and this smoke from the big fire is awful. Well anyway, if you want some help in Aug maybe I can come down.



Follow progress on the new project at http://www.papercretebyjudith.com/blog

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net
Date: Wed, 6 Jul 2011 21:22:32 -0600
Subject: [papercreters] Cellulose Insulation

 
Today I did some experimentation with an 18 pound package of cellulose insulation, made to be blown into an attic.

My concrete mixer will mix two 80# sacks of gravel mix, making about two cubic feet of concrete per batch. I put three gallons of water in the mixer and then added almost half the package of cellulose. The water disappeared as the cellulose made a moist lump in the mixer. I added a couple more gallons of water and got a mix that was flowing a bit. I have not tried papercrete in this mixer before so was not sure of the ratios, but tossed in about five pounds of portland cement because that looked about right.

After I let the mix churn for a few minutes I poured it into a waiting mold that holds a calculated 2.63 cubic feet. As expected the batch filled the mold about 2/3 full.  I quickly mixed about 1/2 a mixer batch and topped off the mold. By this time the first batch had drained and started to settle a bit. I smoothed off the mold and cleaned the mixer.

After about an hour I went back to remove the mold. The papercrete had settled from 7.5" to 5.5" and had slightly shrunk away from the mold, which lifted off easily. The shrinkage so far is comparable to what I was getting when mixing office paper with a power washer. The cost is considerably higher. Tomorrow I'll see if what is left of the package is enough for another mold full.

--  spaceman  All opinions expressed or implied are subject to change without notice upon receipt of new information.  



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___