Friday, July 17, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Size of blocks?



Great posts, all of you. thanks. I was just wondering what people were doing and mainly the thickness for a wall. The Curmudgen book has some really good food for thought, well worth the money with what I've read so far. Ev

On Fri, Jul 17, 2009 at 8:52 PM, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:
 

I LOVED making blocks and I made a lot of them. I have them stacked all over the place. But now I am into slip forming and don't want to lay blocks any more. So I am going to use a hybrid method. I will set up the slip form and pour some slurry into it. Then I will lay the blocks on their ends in the wet slurry so there is room all around them for more slurry that I will pour over them. I think I will wet the blocks well so the new slurry really bonds with them. Anyway, that's what I'm going to do.

But if you do want to make blocks keep in mind that the shorter the block the more curved you can make your wall. I have recently slip formed some curved walls and they came out nice so I am planning to use slip forming as much as possible now and just use blocks where it is necessary.

I do think though that the best thickness for a wall would be about a foot no matter what method you decide on.

From: evelynanne8@gmail.com
Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 17:25:28 -0700
Subject: [papercreters] Size of blocks?


 
Could some of you tell me about size of blocks, what size would be best? I have an idea of what eventually I want to build but have not thought on the size, thickness, etc (and why) of a wall for a small dwelling. I don't think I would tackle a dome type structure at this time. I am sure this question sounds simplistic but any info would help me decide. Thanks in advance, Ev

--
Chinese herbals for the Western Mind
www.ozbotanicals.com
Skype~eve8mon






--
Chinese herbals for the Western Mind
www.ozbotanicals.com
Skype~eve8mon




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___