Sunday, July 19, 2009

RE: [papercreters] footing for papercrete blocks



I always tell people to keep papercrete blocks at least 8 to 12 inches off the ground so they don't wick moisture, and that advice still holds. However, recently I took down an addition to my shed. It's been up there about 3 years and was always meant to be temporary so I just laid the papercrete blocks right on the ground. Those blocks were still in terrific condition even after 3 years on the ground in all kinds of weather including snow. Granted they were some of my first blocks when I was using 2 bags of cement per 200 gallons of slurry. But even so I would have expected them to be somewhat soggy or broken down.

Anyway, that's just my experience here in the high desert of New Mexico. I certainly would never tell anyone to put blocks right on the ground but it seemd to be OK in this case.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: fkoobideh@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:59:28 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] footing for papercrete blocks

 
Question for the experienced,

I read that papercrete doesn't weather well next to water; hence its not structurally a sound idea to lay them directly on the ground.

So I guess the foundation footing and the first row of blocks would best chosen traditional concrete mix + cinder blocks, then papercrete atop of the first row on up.

Is this correct?




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___