Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Soundproofing applications

You don't mention whether the floor was made from ferrocement, but it would be the "paper" in "papercrete" that would provide some sound-deadening qualities.    Similarly lightweight aggregate with insulation qualities such as perlite, vermiculite, pumice, etc., that also would be helpful.   There are tests that have been done on drywall made for sound-deadening purposes, but I'm not sure how that is different from standard drywall.   A sound test would be easy to construct, although I'm too lazy right now to look up what "STC" is an abbreviation for.
 
Neal 
 
-------------- Original message --------------
From: Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>

Can't give you any numbers for STC of PC, but when I built a sensory isolation chamber about 25 years ago from ferrocement I found that while the chamber isolated me from any airborne vibrations it still transmitted ground vibrations (like passing vehicles). You might consider some sort of dampers isolating your chamber from anything solid - mount it on a pile of marshmallows, so to speak.

Spaceman

chorizochub wrote:

Hello, everyone- I am new to the group, and I am pretty excited to learn more about PC.  The first project I am attempting is a sensory deprivation chamber to use for meditation... I am hoping to achieve a STC of 60, though thought the upper 40 range would be acceptable.  Does anyone know anything specific about the soundproofing qualities of PC? I have found only vague references to its vibration-absorbing qualities in my research, and am having a hard time coming up with any exact info to work with.  If not, it might be a good idea for a few of us to collaborate in some experimentation, to see what we can find out about it. I am assuming that someone, somewhere has/ is finding out, but I cannot find it, so it would be nice to figure it out so we can share it with others.     

__._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___