Thursday, June 26, 2008

[papercreters] Re: creative solutions sought

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "inkpotgraphics"
<inkpotgraphics@...> wrote:
>
> I'm in Minnesota and seeking affordable home repairs. Situation is:
>
> I'm in about a 35-year old double-wide, without much peak on the
> roof. Snow & ice pack in the winter creates leaks annually, despite
> my patch- efforts with tar / sheet metal. Tends to have
> freeze-heave in the floors, and I'm sure this affects the roof.

More info requested:
How much overhang do you have? What is currently inside the walls (ie,
are the outside insulated at all)?

> Walls are about 4 inches thick, in other words, need help for
> insulation, and anything is an improvement.

> Laws are: I can 'roof / build up', long as I stay within the ground
> footprint without needing permits or septic inspection. (I'm sure
> they wouldn't care about walls being insulated.)

You say you can build up, but to consider that we need to know what
you have supporting the existing roof. I would NOT recommend putting
large amounts of PC or adding a story if this is a typical mobile home
without any reinforcement. Not saying it cannot be done, just that I
would not want to risk it in a structure that could get snow on it and
collapse to injure someone or worse.

> Mostly wooded, shady, fairly moist area, ants a problem in summer;
> high humidity much of the time.

That would indicate to me that you probably need a lime mix. Take a
look at either of the posts Elf made earlier, both of those should do
well for both insects and some moisture. Although you will probably
want latex of some form in them or some other waterproofing method if
water can get to it (and thus my questions about overhang).

> I'm trying to remedy these situations without much cash (extremely
> limited, prohibits putting a new roof on, using spray foam, or
> residing the unit).

Residing can be done with PC sheets as well. Or you could enclose the
structure in a PC block wall. Or you could stucco /plaster in a pc mix.

<snip>

> I do have a cement mixer (stored here by a friend), access to
> shredded paper, some minor experience with cement, and farmer
> "do-it-yourself" blood.

How large of a mixer is it? Is it a cement or a mortar mixer? Do you
also have a pressure washer (or access to one) by chance?

> These are the problems I'd like to address, and no suggestion is
> unworthy; if folks thought a small dome could be built on the roof,
> without good reason as to "why not", it becomes viable in my world!

Good attitude, just throw in a bit of caution too. =) We don't want
anyone getting hurt.

<snip>

> I'll be experimenting with a few bricks as soon as possible, but
> before I do anything as permanent, I'm hoping for some advice so I
> don't create a freezing / cracking disaster when winter hits.

My first advise would be mix a batch (as I am sure SG will recommend
as well). It is interesting stuff, and once you have worked it a bit
you can see possibilities better. We'll chip in with advice, but
nothing really replaces having your hands in slurry.

- Ernie


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/