Tuesday, June 24, 2008

[papercreters] Re: dome construction

Thanks to the people who shared their experience with building domes etc. I'm glad to hear the positive responses.

I'm a little puzzled over the seeming attack on building with domes and vaults, a method of building which has an extremely long and rich history, and which has proven marvelously adaptable. I agree that in many climates building a papercrete dome might not be the best option, but for the desert southwest, where we will be building, it seems to be marvelously suitable. In fact, the climate of some of the southwest is in many ways similar to the middle east's, and I believe that the strangeness of seeing a domed house is in no way the result of that house being inappropriate to the location, but that we simply have an unnecessarily constricted view of the "American House". In fact, the greater pretension seems to lie in creating a rock or brick facade for a stick built house, or maintaining manorial lawns, or many other features which can be seen in any subdivision around any industrialized country.

In the ongoing struggle to create a new, "green" architecture, I'm convinced that the fault does not lie with papercrete or with most other alternative building techniques. The fact is that the housing industry is making a bundle of money building in the wasteful way is has been for a long time, and I doubt things will change until people find a way to start making just as much or more money building "green". I certainly can't answer that problem in general, but I can in a particular case, by building my own house.

As for me, I absolutely can't wait to live in my "exotic" looking house. One of the things that appeals to me most about papercrete is the fact that the materials are so common and easy to come by, and that the techniques for building are within the reach of the common handyperson. With our resources becoming ever more limited, and the divide between haves and have nots constantly widening, it's high time we revise our ideas on what a house ought to look like where and why.

For what it's worth
Kristin :) __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___