Friday, June 27, 2008

[papercreters] Re: I would like to see some projects.

Thanks, I saw that map but didn't figure how to 'zoom in' on anything,
and I had a weak wifi connection that day also.
I have worked with concrete most of my life and from what I have seen on
the web, many problems could be solved by looking at how 'Mason
Greenstar'

http://www.jerisinger.com/greenstar/_V2/index.asp
makes his blocks. The big difference is that he starts with dry paper
pulp and uses only enough water to get it damp. I've used the same paper
product before and one of the 'additives' is borax or boric acid, this
eliminates the mold and bacteria problems and acts as a natural
fireproofing and insect repellent. Basically he uses just portland
cement and paper, no sand or clay... He is able to produce a block with
no shrinkage and more strength than conventional concrete blocks, and
they float. His blocks will absorb water but more like a concrete block
than a wet phone book.
I think the excess water is the biggest problem making papercrete. I
would suggest blending the paper with just water first, then drain the
pulp till the water quits running out before adding anything else. This
could possibly be done by dumping the wet pulp onto a large piece of
'shade cloth' to let it drain. Then add the dry ingredients and mix it
like they mix 'cob' on a tarp. Don't forget the borax.
I gotta go for now..... my daughters birthday party. good luck.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Les,
>
> Welcome to the group.
>
> In the Diagrams Album in the Papercreters Photos area there is a map.
> Each pushpin represents a structure using papercrete. They are either
> under construction or completed structures. I am positive that there
> are many structures in existence that are not shown, but those are the
> ones I've been able to track down. If I don't know at least what city
> a structure is in I do not display it on the map.
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/