Sunday, June 29, 2008

[papercreters] Restoration of old house

slurryguy and others

I will post some pictures on flickr and provide a link in the links section, I find this faster and with better resolution.  I worked on it all day yesterday and the next step has to be foundation repair. We ripped out 6 layers of floor and found a cracked concrete slap and the footings are very shallow.  I have a plan that may work.  I will have to jack up the walls and pull the footing inward and then poor second footing on the outside.  The plan is to use it as workshop and for storage, so we are gutting it.  I will then pour a new floor reinforced with rebar and tied to the old floor by drilling into it and pounding rebar into it. 

Here is the link to the photos:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/halschmidt/sets/72157605880299140/
I tried to add to the links section but cannot,  apparently this privilege has been disallowed.
Hal


slurryguy wrote: Hello Harold,

Welcome to the group.

Congratulations on your property purchase.

I do not know of anyone that has done exactly what you are
describing, but there have been several instances of people
insulating an existing structure with papercrete. That can work very
well.

Pictures of the existing structure would be very helpful in
stimulating this group with ideas about your project.

I would guess that the closest anyone has come to your project is
Robert Merrill's Retrofit project. See his photo album for details
and search the old messages. Robert has discussed it previously.
I'm sure he'd be happy to answer any questions also.

I hope this helps. __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___