Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Skirts installed photo



Bob,
Thanks for the photos.  It looks much easier to control the width, depth and "plumbness" of the wall all at once.  Where did you find the iron for the forms, or what is it actually called.  It looks like it is not too heavy a gauge.
I know you are just getting started on the next tier, but keep us posted on how long you really need to wait to allow the second row of blocks to be laid on the first.  I can't imagine them being strong enough for a couple of days, but then again maybe your skirt will hold all of it in long enough to retain its shape in a half a day.
Would this technique keep a crew of visiting onlookers busy all day or would there be some down time due to waiting for things to cure?  (nap, mint julep, cool off in the pond)  Would it depend on how many forms you have ready to go?
Ron


From: Bob <criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tuesday, July 14, 2009 5:23:14 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Skirts installed photo

I got two forms set with skirts installed, as seen in my photo section. I decided to make the skirts the full 30" length to compensate for a shrinkage issue of the center block and some shrinkage on the last block poured, the first block I poured did not shrink at all.

My mix is the problem. I came up with another new formula last night and pourd the block and T lock closest to the brick wall. I looked at it this morning and there has been some shrinkage but it is quite solid and has a nice shiney finish as did the very first block I poured not knowing the exact formula of the paper/mud mix of that first block.

I dreamed about the concept last night and this morning I thought "I could have put a skirt on both sides ,any lenght, say 10' long and just installed the forms on top of the skirt where ever the T lock needs to be next." The extra length of the skirt would compensate for the issue of "leveling each T lock form", once the skirts were level and leveled, all the T lock forms on top where ever they may be, would also be level.  DUUUUHHHH!   After using the 30" skirts I may not ever use the 12"  ones that I thought would be big enough to cover the 6"x6" T lock opening.

Just food for thought while I have my coffee.

Bob



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___