Tuesday, July 7, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Re: more and more papercrete experiments



My experience is that papercrete will not stick to plastic pipes. I assume you are thinking of putting them vertically in the "log" and pouring around it, removing it later and filling the void with rebar? If I were going to go to that trouble I would make the voids large anough to fill with concrete. I don't see what purpose rebar would serve except to keep the "logs" stacked up straight. I can see putting the rebar down the center of the void and pouring concrete around it. Can you explain in more detail what you want to do?

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: jgbigard@yahoo.com
Date: Tue, 7 Jul 2009 10:24:19 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Re: more and more papercrete experiments





--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "katsniptoys" <katsniptoys@...>
wrote:
>
> I am planning to do some experiments with papercrete as a jump off to
experiments with concrete counter tops. additives colorants finishes,
etc.
> But I was thinking as long as I am creating these blocks I might as
well make them useful. so I am going to cast them as "logs" about 20-30
inches long and about 8 inches square. I want to make some built in
perforations in them for future rebar to join stacks together.
> I think I want to use some small diameter pvc pipe through the forms
to create the voids. My question is do I need to coat them with some
kind of release so I can push the pipes out of the blocks after they
have cured some.
> does anyone else use a release agent (wax, grease, mylar) to get
things out of molds.
> thanks,
> kat
>

I use used cooking oil as from deep fryer etc. to coat anything I do not
want concrete to stick to. Most of mine is canola and corn oil from own
deep fryer, that we always save when changing old oil. I have used PVC
for leaving openings in concrete parts. I oil with the cooking oil and
usually try to remove while mix is greeen. 4-12 hours after pour
depending upon temp.




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___