Tuesday, July 7, 2009

[papercreters] Re: more and more papercrete experiments

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "katsniptoys" <katsniptoys@...>
wrote:
>
> I am planning to do some experiments with papercrete as a jump off to
experiments with concrete counter tops. additives colorants finishes,
etc.
> But I was thinking as long as I am creating these blocks I might as
well make them useful. so I am going to cast them as "logs" about 20-30
inches long and about 8 inches square. I want to make some built in
perforations in them for future rebar to join stacks together.
> I think I want to use some small diameter pvc pipe through the forms
to create the voids. My question is do I need to coat them with some
kind of release so I can push the pipes out of the blocks after they
have cured some.
> does anyone else use a release agent (wax, grease, mylar) to get
things out of molds.
> thanks,
> kat
>


I use used cooking oil as from deep fryer etc. to coat anything I do not
want concrete to stick to. Most of mine is canola and corn oil from own
deep fryer, that we always save when changing old oil. I have used PVC
for leaving openings in concrete parts. I oil with the cooking oil and
usually try to remove while mix is greeen. 4-12 hours after pour
depending upon temp.


------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/