Sunday, July 12, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Don's nice new photos -was- Re: Building a tow mixer



Don,
I agree about the card board.  Seems as though it is everywhere, and as newspapers start shutting down it is good to concentrate on a source that will stay strong.  I mentioned on a previous post that I went to the nearest paper printer (Missoula) and they had roll ends (left over from the printing process).  These varied in length and diameter.  I drove up there because they said they had a lot, but when I got there they only had about 25 AND they wanted .25 for each one.  Well for the $7.25 I gave they barely covered 1/2 the bed of my Ford Ranger.

Since you are having good blocks turn out can you share with us the %'s you are using of ingredients?  No sense re-inventing the wheel. (water, paper (cardboard), cement, other).

I was shocked the other day when I watched the towmixer on Youtube someone recently shared and the guy said 60 # of paper and 90# of cement.  I am just finishing a shed (not a house of course) and have used the 60# of paper but I only use 30# of cement and the blocks are fine.  Take a long time to dry however as we get down to 40 at night frequently and we have yet to have a 90 degree day during the daytime (I live in Alaska 9 months of the year so I am definitely not complaining).

Thanks for sharing!
Ron

From: donald1miller <donald1miller@yahoo.com>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 9:45:30 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Don's nice new photos -was- Re: Building a tow mixer

I really think that cardboard is every bit as good as newsprint for pulp. I think for a lot of people it will be easier to get. I know it is for me. I have a huge stack of cardboard that I have collected over the past two years from my local country store. I leave a pickup box trailer with two foot sideboards there and I get a load once a week during the snowbird season, October through March. I could get a lot more but I'm going to use up what I have first.

I have a couple of other ideas to tweak the mixer to pulp the cardboard better and if they work as well as the baffles, the cardboard would defintely be a go.

I made some panels with the pulp alone and they are really strong and of course light. I got in too big a hurry to get them out of the forms and they cracked as they weren't completely dry. I think when I make some more and the finish side would be against the plastic tarp it will make a nice smooth finish. I am thinking of using them to put between rafters for insulation. I have some boric acid I will experiment with for a fire retardant as I assume they would be quite flammable although I haven't put a flame to them so don't know for sure how flammable they would be.

--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, "Nick Boersema" <picknick@.. .> wrote:
>
> Those are good looking blocks Don I am glad to see your having success with
> cardboard as that is what I have available as well.
>
>
>
> Nick
>
>
>
> _____
>
> From: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com [mailto:papercreters@ yahoogroups. com] On
> Behalf Of slurryguy
> Sent: Sunday, July 12, 2009 12:25 PM
> To: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com
> Subject: [papercreters] Don's nice new photos -was- Re: Building a tow mixer
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> Just to make it easy for everyone to view Don's photos, here is a link that
> will take you straight to all 28 of his latest shots:
> http://tinyurl. <http://tinyurl. com/DonsTowMixer Modifications>
> com/DonsTowMixerMod ifications
>
> Keep in mind that you will not be able to view the photos unless you are
> Signed-In to your Yahoo Account, and that Yahoo Account must be a member of
> Papercreters before you will be able to see the photos. Hey, it's how
> Yahoo's system works and joining Papercreters is free, so quit your
> complaining! hehehe
>
> 28 really nice photos, Don. You've been a busy beaver!
> Wait... Beaver? In Arizona? Do they have Beavers there?
>
> Busy Bee! Yeah, that's it. I know they have bees in AZ.
>
> Everyone can now picture Don wearing a Saturday Night Live bee costume while
> stacking his papercrete block honeycomb. hehehe.
>
> --- In papercreters@ <mailto:papercreter s%40yahoogroups. com>
> yahoogroups. com, "donald1miller" <donald1miller@ > wrote:
> >
> > After I made this last post I decided to look for my pictures again and I
> found them in a subfolder in the folder that I intended to save them in.
> Hooray! I am posting them and will do a descrition as well. SlurryGuy I like
> the idea of making the elephant trunk long enough to reach over the top of
> the tank. If I can find another tube I will try it. I think it would need to
> be clamped very securely on the top but should be doable. This would
> eliminate the trap door arrangement and would making placing the mix in the
> forms easier.
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > --- In papercreters@ <mailto:papercreter s%40yahoogroups. com>
> yahoogroups. com, "donald1miller" <donald1miller@ > wrote:
> > >
> > > Well, the pictures I took are floating around somewhere in cyber space
> as I don't know what I did wrong when I moved them from the memory stick to
> a My Pictures folder. I'll take some more tomorrow and see if I can do the
> save properly. I hope the baffles hold up as there is probably some force on
> them as the cardboard starts to go around. I'm thinkin they will but if they
> don't hold up I can bend and weld a metal one. I didn't get the cut exactly
> perfect when I ripped the 4X6 so one is a tad bit smaller than the other. At
> any rate they are approximately 5 inches protruding into the tank. It was an
> easy fix for sure.
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > >
> > > --- In papercreters@ <mailto:papercreter s%40yahoogroups. com>
> yahoogroups. com, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@> wrote:
> > > >
> > > > Fantastic news Donald,
> > > >
> > > > I'm happy the baffles helped, and I look forward to seeing the photos.
>
> > > >
> > > > For that matter, I look forward to seeing regular progress reports
> (and photos) about your construction progress. (hint hint) I'm certain
> everyone else would enjoy that as well. No doubt many will be interested and
> want to ask you questions. What do you say everyone? Should we all pester
> Don to get him to post lots of updates?
> > > >
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > Keep up the good work Don.
> > > >
> > > >
> > > > --- In papercreters@ <mailto:papercreter s%40yahoogroups. com>
> yahoogroups. com, "donald1miller" <donald1miller@ > wrote:
> > > > >
> > > > > <snip>
> > > > >
> > > > >Well I must say that these baffles worked absoulutely great! It
> pulped the cardboard and I didn't have the glob of uncut stuff around the
> blade when I got to the bottom of the tank as I was emptying it. I took a
> bunch of pictures as per our esteemed moderator the Slurry Guy recommends
> and I will post them so you can see the results.
> > > > >
> > > > ><snip>
> > > >
> > >
> >
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___