Friday, July 17, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Making a papercrete planter




--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Lori Lynn" <lorilynnand@...> wrote:

 I want to make a papercrete planter. I first read about papercrete on Dave's garden site. A woman in Japan named Tom Tom posted pictures and instructions on the site.
 
The instructions were unclear to me, so I googled papercrete, papertufa...here I am.
 
I have molds for the planter, newspaper and quickcrete. TomTom used portland cement. I realize they are different. However, a partial bag of quickcrete is on hand and a 90 lb bag of portland cement is too heavy for me to purchase and transport by myself. 
 
Does anyone have a recommended recipe using quickcrete and paper mush? I think proportions by volume would be easier, but I can weigh things if needed. 
 
Its funny you should ask for proportions, that is the only way I've been able to make this stuff. I resently used paper pulp in my patio form mix. I am pouring a patio in small sections because like you I can't handle heavy work and can't get a cement truck into my back yard. My patio finished size will be 41' long and 14' wide or 574 sq ft. I am pouring it in 26" x 96" sections, forming only two sides at a time against the last section poured. I have recently been adding two gallons of wet paper pulp to one bag quickcrete, if you put your wet papercrete into your mixer or your mixing box first and then add the quickcrete a little at a time and if necessary add a little water to keep the mix like oat meal,  you will have nice results. I presently am doing a project to enter in the "Bucket of Papercrete" contest, and I am using a silicone form I made.

Good Luck

Bob

P.S. It has rained on my slab pours several times and it doesn't seem to soak up anymore water than the regular quickcrete pours, it just has a little different finish, which I like, and I have seen no signs of mold so far. Even if you ever do see mold a little bleach would wipe it out, I have wondered about adding a little bleach to the mix to start off with.



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___