Sunday, July 5, 2009

[papercreters] Latex Paint -was- Very pleasant surprise

My experience with Latex paint in papercrete is that the mix CAN be extremely sticky when it is freshly wet. I'm certain that the degree of stickiness depends a great deal on how much paint is mixed in. Lime can also make the mix somewhat sticky.

I've never attempted my following suggestion, but I'll wager that if someone were to scatter sand on top of a latex enhanced mix while it is still wet, that the sand would stick to the surface. That might form a gritty surface similar to the grit on typical asphalt shingles. I would suggest spreading a lot more sand than you think you need, and waiting for it to dry. Then you can sweep off the excess that fails to stick. That may produce a more attractive appearance no matter what color the paint produces. This might be especially if the sand compliments the building's color scheme, or the sand blends in well with the local ground surface. I bet just scattering local New Mexico soil/sand (sifted to get out any big chunks) might look pretty good on a roof. Just guessing. Might be worth trying on a test block to see what you think.

Just an idea. Use or ignore at your discretion.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I really went overboard and put 20 gallons in my 200 gallon mixer. I have a lot of paint because my daughter is a set painter for the movies and she gives me a lot of leftovers. (the final color was creepy green)
>
> Sincerely, Judith

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/