Saturday, November 10, 2012

RE: [papercreters] Re: Preventing Tool Theft



Your experience reminds me of what happened to my brother a few years ago. He had a storage trailer at the construction site. After hours someone went by, hooked a chain to the door and their trailer hitch and tore it off. All tools gone.

I agree there is no way to thwart them if they are determined.

You know what they say in NY. If you want to get rid of your garbage put it in a bag and leave it on the front seat of your car. Make sure you do not lock the doors or you will end up with a broken window.



Follow progress on the new project on my papercrete Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/Papercrete/390380804327169

More papercrete info at http://squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2012 13:58:05 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Preventing Tool Theft

 
I have a dog, but he travels with me. I almost adopted a stray pit bull a while back, but if I have to leave for days or weeks I can't leave a dog here to fend for himself so that isn't the answer. The thieves don't come when I'm home, they know better.

Making a super strong place to store things is mostly wasted effort because thieves figure the effort you make to protect something is proportional to its value so a big lock indicates big money. A $15 bolt cutter will defeat a $100 lock any day.

To answer SG's question, I was away for an extended time and came home to check on things. I found a metal door bashed in, and of course once they got inside they could unlock the other door. From tire tracks it was an organized effort, they made several trips with a trailer. My tools were inside my dome, behind two metal doors. They didn't defeat the locks, they broke the door. A remote site like mine gives thieves the freedom to work without detection and they took their time sorting through everything I owned, taking everything of any value. Don't count on law enforcement. They don't have time to work on crimes against persons, and they don't really care much at all about property crimes.

Even if you walk around strapped, they watch for when you leave. I don't know the answer to security but I have observed fewer problems since the night I walked outside packing and came upon three thieves in my front yard. They were fast getting out of here, probably had to change their pants. I haven't been away more than a day at a time since, but I'm worried about my Christmas trip.



On 11/9/2012 4:08 PM, Garth & Kim Travis wrote:
Greetings,  We had bought a metal shed to store our tools in, when we first bought   the property.  There were no building on the property and we lived over   an hour away while I was building the place.  We had put aircraft cable   on the doors so they couldn't just be slid to the side, but they just   busted up the building to get in.  We had a lot of problems with petty   theft, until we got the coydog.  Amazing how well that has worked.  I   will never live without a dog again, at least not out in the country.   She pays for herself.    Bright Blessings,  Garth & Kim Travis  www.TheRoseColoredForest.com  Bedias, Texas    On 11/9/2012 3:07 PM, JayH wrote:  
I find the stories of theft worthwhile, and I encourage anyone wanting  to share their theft story to do so. I think reading about these thefts  is very educational to anyone considering starting a construction project.    However, a theft story doesn't end with how items got stolen, and the  frustration with the authorities.    The story continues.    Spaceman, Kim, and anyone else...    Please give details exactly where were your tools when they were stolen?  How were they stored? Were they locked up? If so, please describe how  they were locked up and how the thieves defeated the lock.    What have each of you done since you were robbed? What steps have you  taken to increase your site security? What recommendations do you make  to others that will help them keep their tools secure?    While it is clear that it is extremely unlikely... as in practically  impossible... for your tools to be returned to you, I encourage you take  this crappy event that has happened to you and make at least a teeny  tiny bit of good come from it. Educate the rest of us on Papercreters  how we can all protect ourselves from suffering the same fate.    I keep coming back to building a tool shed.    Papercrete walls can be extremely strong and durable. Far more durable  than any standard shed construction. That combined with the strongest  steel door from a scrap yard and the biggest baddest deadbolt lock can  go a long way in creating not just a toolshed, but a tool BUNKER.    I realize that no structure can be 100% secure.    However, we can take steps to make a shed so strong and secure that  thieves will have such difficulty that they will decide to look for  easier targets down the road.    --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com  <mailto:papercreters%40yahoogroups.com>, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...>  wrote:   >   > Greetings,   > I found my local cops useless as well. When my tractor was stolen, I   > had to fill out the report three times, as they kept filing in the   > circular file. My insurance company couldn't get a copy before they   > chucked it. At the time, we were immigrants, no green cards yet, just   > work permits. We got zero protection from the law.   >   > My theft problems stopped when we brought Miss Dusty home. She is half   > coyote and every scum bucket in the neighborhood is terrified of her.   >   > I did have my pretty pink tools stolen, it didn't help. These days, it   > is rare the farm has no one here, that also helps.   >   > Bright Blessings,   > Garth & Kim Travis   > www.TheRoseColoredForest.com   > Bedias, Texas   >   > On 11/9/2012 11:45 AM, spaceman wrote:   > > When I was burglarized five times in six weeks, the best the county   > > mounties did was take a cell phone photo of a tire track. They reduced   > > my extensive list of $15,000 worth of tools and electronics to a one   > > line - "various tools and appliances" and the detective assigned to the   > > case never contacted me or returned my calls. The fifth time I had them   > > out here a supervisor showed up with the rookies and said he had  noticed   > > I had been hit five times and he thought he might should come by.   > > Knowing through the grapevine about which gang it was and even where   > > they live, I tried to get some action and answers for why nothing is   > > done with the common knowledge. These thieves set up at the local flea   > > markets and I have found some of my tools there. After some discussion   > > he started threatening me, saying "right now we are treating you as a   > > victim, but that could change." I invited him and his clowns to gtf off   > > my property and never come back. Someday I'll come home and catch the   > > thieves here, and I will be armed and dangerous. Oh, they stole my   > > security cams, too!   > >   > > My neighbors didn't know I lived here for several years. I don't  think I   > > can count on neighborhood watch :(   > >   > >        No virus found in this message.  Checked by AVG - www.avg.com <http://www.avg.com>  Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2624/5884 - Release Date: 11/09/12    
------------------------------------    Yahoo! Groups Links    <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/    <*> Your email settings:      Individual Email | Traditional    <*> To change settings online go to:      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join      (Yahoo! ID required)    <*> To change settings via email:      papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com       papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com    <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:      papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com    <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:      http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/        -----  No virus found in this message.  Checked by AVG - www.avg.com  Version: 2013.0.2793 / Virus Database: 2624/5882 - Release Date: 11/08/12      




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___