Thursday, November 8, 2012

[papercreters] Re: 16 sided house

You wouldn't need to keep the center post.

I only mentioned the center point as a very useful reference point while doing layout to get all the corners exactly in position properly. For layout on the ground, a simple stake driven in the center to tie a string compass too is more than sufficient, as long as the string is free to rotate around the stake and not wind itself on the stake shortening itself as you work your way around the building marking things out.

Whether you use a center post to hold up the roof is a completely separate issue for whatever style of roof you choose.

I'll see what I can dig up this weekend looking for that spreadsheet. The hard drive crashed on the computer I built that spreadsheet on, but I have backups. The trick will be finding it on the backups and loading onto another machine where I can get to it.


Either that or I can just recreate the entire spreadsheet.

Like I said, the math isn't exactly proving Einstein's theory of relativity. It's straight forward calculations. A little trigonometry, but mostly just basic algebra. The big advantage of the spreadsheet is that it takes all of the extremely tedious math and make it simple, fast, and accurate. In seconds you can play around with the design parameters for various different structures and see how the building is affected, particularly in the quantities of materials required.


Of course, now that you mention your roof, I find myself contemplating a spreadsheet that would help people with the same kinds of calculations concerning reciprocal roofs. I suspect such a calculator would be enlightening.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Garth & Kim Travis <gartht@...> wrote:
>
> Greetings,
> The spreadsheet sounds wonderful. Some of the information I already
> have, since I design using autocad. But, I am not really proficient in
> using the program, so a spread sheet would be nice.
>
> The center post is gone. Now I know I don't have to use one, the house
> will be so much nicer for here in the south. A cupola, that opens as
> heat chimney and that is mirrored for diffused lighting in the middle of
> the building is far more useful than a large fireplace, to us.
>
> We will be building in a rocket stove along the north wall, to keep us
> warm, but cooling is so much more important for our climate.
>
> Bright Blessings,
> Garth & Kim Travis
> www.TheRoseColoredForest.com
> Bedias, Texas
>
> On 11/7/2012 9:59 AM, JayH wrote:
> > Dag nabit.
> >
> > Now you went and got me frustruated.
> >
> > Why? Because I had built a nice custom spreadsheet from scratch a few
> > years back for the explicit purpose of doing all the detailed math
> > calculations for constructing a building of any type of regular
> > equilateral polygon.
> >
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/