Tuesday, February 14, 2012

Re: [papercreters] 200 blocks in and frustrated.



The dome I'm in now has 12" thick walls most of the way up, and will continue to the top with 12" thick. While you can reach a point of diminishing returns with insulation, I don't think R36 or so is too much for west Texas at 4,000'. I don't do blocks, though. The dome I'm in has slip formed walls, the "next" one is getting triangular panels that are 3' on a side and 10" thick. A sealing top coat will go over those, getting back up to the target R36.

IMHO the less you handle the papercrete, the easier your project is. I have a pump mounted on the tongue of my mixer, and pump into forms. That way I only have to pick up dry paper and portland cement, but not all that water.

spaceman

On 2/14/2012 10:58 AM, Rusty S wrote:

I have overplanned my projest and have a few layers of blocks made. With the end no where near being in sight I was hoping to get some input from folks.  My blocks are to big I fear being 16in wide by 8in (6.5 after set) deep. What are the width of blocks out there?? I live in West Texas and insulation from heat is my priority. So I planned on the 16in walls to get to this point. The cost and labor involed in this sized block is more than I had planned with one 200 gallon load making 12 blocks.   How thick are you making your walls and the related R factor. I was alwas under the presumption that Papercrete had an average R Factor of 2/in.   Rusty.      ------------------------------------  Yahoo! Groups Links  <*> To visit your group on the web, go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/  <*> Your email settings:     Individual Email | Traditional  <*> To change settings online go to:     http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join     (Yahoo! ID required)  <*> To change settings via email:     papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com      papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com  <*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:     papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com  <*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:     http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/    ----- No virus found in this message. Checked by AVG - www.avg.com Version: 2012.0.1913 / Virus Database: 2112/4809 - Release Date: 02/14/12   


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___