Friday, February 10, 2012

[papercreters] Beerpercrete



http://youtu.be/CbBxpDTFduc

Many years ago I started a bottle collection with the idea of using them as infill. Today I finally tried an experiment with a few of those bottles. For easy mixing, I used a bundle of cellulose insulation and added about 12-15 pounds of portland cement as it was mixing in my small concrete mixer. This was done in halves, each half filling my mixer.

The mold got a layer of pc, then bottles were inserted in a layer. More pc, more bottles, more pc. The mold sat about 1/2 hour, the pc started to pull away and the mold could be lifted off. I had a little pc leftover so I pulled out the dog dome molds and did a couple of small triangles with it.

As this sets and I can move it in a few days I'll report back. So far I found that I need to make sure bottles don't get too close to the sides of the mold because that tends to leave a small void and I imagine those bottles may end up sticking out as the pc shrinks. With slip forms the same principle would apply. My theory is that as the pc shrinks it will also shrink away from the bottles so that they won't cause it to crack. If I'm lucky I'll end up with papercrete sponge. Time will tell.

The vertical bottles in the small triangle will be removed, leaving ventilation openings for the dog dome.

spaceman


__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___