Friday, July 3, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Re:Papercrete Squidoo



Thanks Michele

 


From: papercreters@yahoogroups.com [mailto:papercreters@yahoogroups.com] On Behalf Of Michele Marcell
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 9:31 AM
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Re:Papercrete Squidoo

 




Nick,
I have spent several years using an adobe mix for my earth bag domes.   We used 7 coffee cans of good red clay to 5 of sand and 2 of lime or quickcrete and mixed it in a cement mixer with varying amounts of water.  (The quick crete hardens faster). This year I started adding shredded  paper to the  mix  What a difference!  The R value is increased,  the bulk of the mix is lighter, it dries slower and is easier to work with, it cleans better from the mixer, and we use less dirt (which is  less labor!)  I have also worked with regular papercrete. We love the padobe mix best of all and it makes great bricks!  Our new mix is 4 cans sand, 5 cans clay, 1 1/4 cement, a 5 gallon bucket of paper smashed down plus another handful, and about 3/4 of a bucket of water.  You can use the same mix as mortar, but I use 4 sand, 6 clay,1 1/4 cement, and one can of lime, same paper, and more water for exterior mixes and mortars! It whips up like chocolate frosting and cracks very little.Thats my two cents!
Michele in Midpines, CA

--- On Fri, 7/3/09, Nick Boersema <picknick@sympatico.ca> wrote:


From: Nick Boersema <picknick@sympatico.ca>
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Re:Papercrete Squidoo
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Friday, July 3, 2009, 6:11 AM

I have really great clay on my property.  I am leaning towards doing clay bricks stabilized with lime and putting papercrete in the gap between the walls?

 


From: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com [mailto: papercreters@ yahoogroups. com ] On Behalf Of JUDITH WILLIAMS
Sent: Friday, July 03, 2009 8:48 AM
To: papercreters papercreters
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Re:Papercrete Squidoo

 



Funny you should send this (and it's great by the way). I am now designing a small house quite similar to this. I would love to do a load bearing bldg but think I will go with a modified post and beam. It's called a box beam system. the beams (actually the posts) being made of 2 x 4s and oriented strand board and it will have a wood bond beam as well. I will research to see what materials are most green (sustainanble) . Thanks for sending this I really appreciate it and will save it.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo. com/papercreteby judith


 



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___