Wednesday, July 15, 2009

Re: [papercreters] Re: Side Slipforming



Thanks Bob,
Your scrap and mine as well.  We had a barn that collapsed in a strong wind a number of years ago and some of the 2X6 rafter supports have been laying around with nails catching on anyone's clothing that gets near enough.  Today they are all chopped up waiting the skirts and final assembly.  I am going to have to jury rig a form to level the existing wall as I was using uneven individual blocks.  So while that is curing I will get the rest of the forms done and ready to go.

I live on the floodplain of a river (the Bitterroot River) and can find no clay here.  We have tons of sand and gravel but no clay that I am aware of.  So I will need to stick with the paper/cement/sand/lime mix I've been using.

Because I am working on a work in progress, my forms are 6X8X33 and one towmixer load will fill 8 of them.  I think I will make a rather dry batch and see if I can fill 5 of them and remove the first when I get to the 5th.  If this won't work then I'll come up with a use for the extra. 
Food for a contest entry.

Ron

From: Bob <criswells.ok@sbcglobal.net>
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Wednesday, July 15, 2009 3:51:24 AM
Subject: [papercreters] Re: Side Slipforming


--- In papercreters@ yahoogroups. com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@ ...> wrote:

 Bob,
 OK it is coming clearer now. The skirt part was what I wasn't envisioning. I can't wait to try it. Making a stiffer mix will be easy enough. I can even let the stiffer mix sit for 1/2 an hour or so and the water will come to the surface of the towmixer that can be drawn off prior to pouring. 
Ron, last night I think I have finally got the mixture formula down pat. In order for me to fill just one T Lock, and that is a 12"x6"x24" block and with a 6"x12"x6" lock. My mixture is:

  1. 6 gal +1 pint (that is because I'm using a family size ice cream container for a measuring scoop) wet paper pulp (the pulp is a mixture of magizines, office paper, card board boxes, paper plates and some news paper.)
  2. 4 gal +1 pint wet mud (clay) we have "Mud Dobber" wasps here and you can watch them gather mud for their nest and they only use the best, if they are using it it's good enough for me.
  3. 1 gal +1 pint dry loacal sand (nothing special about it, even has some small pebbles in it)
  4. 3 gal +1pint cement I usually use Portland but I've run out temporarily, so last night I used Masonary type "S", it will work just as good, it is just Portland Cement with a little slack lime added to slow the drying process

This mixture is exactly the right amount to fill one "T Lock", I work so slow one mixture at a time is all I need to mess with, and it really doesn't take long to mix up another mix anyway. I'm loving these forms, you can just pull one off a "T Lock" with the skirt still on it and flip it upside down and ready to go for another base pour. Another thing I love about them is I don't have to brace them, just set it and level it if necessary and pour the mixture in viberate and trowel. I got the idea from the Mud Dobbers to viberate, they do it with their heads and its almost as loud as my electric one.

Bob

P.S. The forms I'm using are just left over scraps from my patio and carport, I was wondering what to do with all the waste metal, now I know.

  1.  




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___