Sunday, July 5, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Latex Paint -was- Very pleasant surprise



WONDERFUL! My mind is racing with ideas of scattering either our gorgeous red Abiquiu sand or even better, that dark red scoria pumice. I love that stuff. Whatever comes in contact with the latex/papercrete would embed itself and the rest could just sit on top adding even more insulation. It is not expensive and looks lovely.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: slurryguy@yahoo.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jul 2009 17:32:39 +0000
Subject: [papercreters] Latex Paint -was- Very pleasant surprise



My experience with Latex paint in papercrete is that the mix CAN be extremely sticky when it is freshly wet. I'm certain that the degree of stickiness depends a great deal on how much paint is mixed in. Lime can also make the mix somewhat sticky.

I've never attempted my following suggestion, but I'll wager that if someone were to scatter sand on top of a latex enhanced mix while it is still wet, that the sand would stick to the surface. That might form a gritty surface similar to the grit on typical asphalt shingles. I would suggest spreading a lot more sand than you think you need, and waiting for it to dry. Then you can sweep off the excess that fails to stick. That may produce a more attractive appearance no matter what color the paint produces. This might be especially if the sand compliments the building's color scheme, or the sand blends in well with the local ground surface. I bet just scattering local New Mexico soil/sand (sifted to get out any big chunks) might look pretty good on a roof. Just guessing. Might be worth trying on a test block to see what you think.

Just an idea. Use or ignore at your discretion.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@...> wrote:
>
>
> I really went overboard and put 20 gallons in my 200 gallon mixer. I have a lot of paint because my daughter is a set painter for the movies and she gives me a lot of leftovers. (the final color was creepy green)
>
> Sincerely, Judith




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___