Thursday, July 16, 2009

RE: [papercreters] Cardboard vs newspaper, flame resistance



I would also like plans for vince's mixer. I am currently experimenting with cardboard and so far it is working out just fine. Cellulose fibers are all the same right? The only thing that concerns me about cutting/shredding them is that the longer the fiber the stronger the mix therefore we want to keep them intact. I am soaking the whole thing (cardboard boxes) in water in an attempt to keep the fibers long and mulch the paper to the max.

You should be thankful for your welding ability. I have no technical skills and must rely on others for such things. For me the beauty of papercrete is its simplicity. Please keep contributing to the group with your experience. We all can learn from each other.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo.com/papercretebyjudith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me



To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: lauranfriends@yahoo.com
Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 20:57:14 -0700
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Cardboard vs newspaper, flame resistance

 
Thanks for this thread of cardboard vs newspaper...
Getting started I found out this spring that in my area, the "easy free paper" and newsprint (with local papers circulation dying) was collected by the big recycle companies....
so was disappointed to not have a "within reach source"...
then this thread of cardboard is the only source that I see available in mass quantities to actually build a small house...

Vincecrete had pics up on his three blade mixer, which I have not learned yet how to cut the blades or how to attach to a pole to a motor... another learning curve... I weld but do not have a cutting torch... 
so my question would be if one had access to a chipper/shredder and shredded the cardboard first, then soaked it, then threw it into a cement mixer with pumice, portland and a bit of sand... do you think that or the pressure washer method of pulverizing the cardboard then adding the mix to it...

any ideas welcomed... as for me to accomplish something this fall will have to be cardboard...
thanks
Laura

--- On Mon, 7/13/09, JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com> wrote:

From: JUDITH WILLIAMS <williams_judith@hotmail.com>
Subject: [papercreters] Cardboard vs newspaper, flame resistance
To: "papercreters papercreters" <papercreters@yahoogroups.com>
Date: Monday, July 13, 2009, 8:33 PM

I made my first batch of papercrete with cardboard the other day. Looks like it will be a good substitute for the newspaper (now that the SF New Mexican has locked me out of their bins). I put a bunch of cardboard in a 55 gal drum and left it to soak for a few days. Mixed up my usual formula except that I hadn't put enough cardboard so I was a little short on that. But I doubled the amount of pumice and halved the amount of cement. The mix came out very wet so I siphoned off some water before I poured it into the form.

So I guess I did actually alter my original formula. The result was that the blocks came out good, strong (so far) and light. My "bucket of papercrete" project was sort of a failure but that's OK. There's still time to tweak the mix and method.

Just thought I would offer this info because I think the addition of the extra pumice adds to the fire retardance while preserving the integrity of the final product. This is just anecdotal, no tests have been performed. I'm trying to adjust my mix to adapt to what I have available. So far so good.

Sincerely, Judith

Check out my new Squidoo Lens at http://www.squidoo. com/papercreteby judith




i'm EMAILING FOR THE GREATER GOOD
Join me




__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___