Friday, July 17, 2009

[papercreters] Re: Size of blocks?

Making 2600 blocks
5 at a time
In a 55 gallon mixer that probably can only be filled to 40 or 45 gallons without stuff slopping out.

You will need around 500 or more barrel-batches to get your blocks. If you are only making one barrel load a day, it will take you at least 2 years just to make the blocks. Then there is the time needed to lay them up, mortar them, plaster... etc.

That sounds like trying to fill a swimming pool with an eyedropper.

Some people might have the patience to stay with it and keep making a few blocks a day, but I think I might go out of my mind. (and I don't have much of my mind left.)

A barrel mixer can be excellent for mixing batches of papercrete mortar, or maybe plaster, but the volume needed for blocks or filling walls really cries out for larger production equipment.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Fant <jerryfant@...> wrote:
>
> Slurryguy is absolutely right the manufacture of blocks is very time consuming.  I make blocks that are 12" long, 8" wide, and 6" thick.  I drain the mix into a draining bin for about an hour to collect almost half my water back.  Then I pour into my block forms on top of screened tables and capture more water. After about 20 minutes I can remove the forms.  I built a blender from an old 55 gallon barrel outfitted with a 4 horse motor with a weed-eater blade modified.  From the the barrel I get about 5 1/2 blocks on average.  I can roll the blocks in about a day, and move them to setting tables in about 3 days.  I have made longer blocks up to 4' long, but they take incredibly longer to dry enough to move them.  I am needing about 2600 blocks.  I do not make blocks everyday, but when I do it's about 20-25 blocks.  At the moment it feels like it is going to take forever to make enough blocks to start.
>  
> Jerry
>

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/