Tuesday, July 21, 2009

[papercreters] parging

I get the feeling that many of the other folks here are very resourceful too. Thanks to the inspiration for improvisation I was able to create a parging mix that seems to be working really well.
While I have not yet had the chance to do papercrete I did have a dry stack block wall to parge.
all the drystack sites say to use surface bonding cement and give no other options.
but I made up one.
fortunately I have a whole bale of blow-in fiberglass insulation and a spare few gallons of grey paint.
here is the recipe I used and it spread well and coated everything nicely
12 cups mortar mix type S
6 cups crushed powdered dolomite lime stone
2 cups blow in fiberglass insulation
water
1 1/2 cups latex paint

I soaked the fiberglass in about the same volume of water. Squeezing the air out and agitating the fibers so they were less clumpy. I mixed everything with a paint mixer and it was great. I added enough water so it was like melting ice cream. I found that if I was thinking it was almost too wet it was just right.
So thanks for the inspiration and I know I will get to the papercrete eventually.
kat

------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/