Tuesday, February 12, 2008

RE: [papercreters] Gabions+Papercrete

Seems like a good way to go. I am now thinking (can you smell the rubber burning?) about my next project, which will be to add on to my tool shed. I want to do it to code (haven't decided yet how much I will involve the inspector). The rear part of the shed is very low and will need to be below grade. According to the code book this is OK if you put 4" of gravel under the floor and provide drainage under the footing. The gabion sounds like it would be the solution. I had been plannning to pour a concrete foundation but don't like the cost, not to mention the amount of concrete it adds to the project. I'll check around and see where these gabions are available. I see them used around here so there must be some. Also, my ex husband works for one of the foremost contractors in town and quite often knows where things can be found. Thanks for all this help.


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: elf@elfnori.com
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 11:30:19 -0800
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Gabions+Papercrete

Judith, Days Creek used a rubble trench with a stemwall . . . which is what I think I'm going to use.  It's a perfect match with pahs.
 
 
If you want gabions, you buy the container and fill it yourself.  If you do a google on gabions you'll hit a couple manufacturers.
 
ElfN
 
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, February 12, 2008 11:23 AM
Subject: RE: [papercreters] Gabions+Papercrete

Are we talking about preformed gabions or ones you make yourself into the shape you need? Are they readily available? I have many many rocks of all different sizes that could be used to fill the gabion. Thanks for all this info. I am not very gabion savvy.


To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
From: elf@elfnori.com
Date: Tue, 12 Feb 2008 09:38:06 -0800
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Gabions+Papercrete

What about a gambion footer under a concrete stemwall. The stemwall
wouldn't have to be very tall. I'm building on the top of a ridge with a
pretty good dropoff on the backside . . . I need someone who's an expert at
gambion foundations to look at where I'm building and yeah or nay it for the
app.

I'm with you on the "hate drywall" bit.

ElfN

----- Original Message -----
From: "canineaficionado" <danceswithdachshunds@comcast.net>

> Nori just mentioned gabions (rubble foundations)- I'd like to throw my
> 2 cents in here. Mike and I are planning on building our curved wall
> retirement home using gabions as the wall system. Hesco makes a
> partitioned gabion that is 3 feet wide, one foot of which can hold a
> decorative facing material like brick or flat rock. My idea is to fill
> the interior portion with river rock and fill the exterior one foot
> sectin with papercrete. (It will have to be lined to keep the
> papercrete from flowing through the grid.) That would give us 2 feet of
> thermal mass on the inside and one foot of insulation on the outside.
> The skill level is very low- a real bonus for us.
>
> This would not appeal to everyone. I LOVE rock- I HATE drywall, so this
> is the perfect solution for me. The gabions have some structural
> strength to them, plus the rock will add some stability. We'll add a
> poured concrete bond beam to the top of the wall. For the foundation,
> we might use a frost protected shallow foundation (FPSF) instead of
> more gabions. We're still in the first planning stages.




Connect and share in new ways with Windows Live. Get it now!



No virus found in this incoming message.
Checked by AVG Free Edition.
Version: 7.5.516 / Virus Database: 269.20.2/1272 - Release Date: 2/11/2008 5:28 PM




Helping your favorite cause is as easy as instant messaging. You IM, we give. Learn more. __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___