Sunday, February 17, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Layering and the use of latex paint

The idea of using a more moisture resistant mix as a first course has
been discussed several times on the list. I don't recall latex
specifically being proposed, but I can see exactly what you are
thinking. I do not know that anyone has actually done it yet.

My first thought is that 2"-4" may be overkill. 1" seems plenty to
me. What do I base this opinion on? uhhhhhhh.... Which way is the
wind blowing today? hehehe.

My second thought is that guessing like that makes me really
uncomfortable. I suggest mixing a couple small batches and making a
few test samples using the exact mix you plan on using. Pour some of
your latex rich mix into a tiny makeshift test form. Make a couple
samples at different thicknesses. Then pour some regular papercrete
over the top. It also would be a good idea to make one sample that
doesn't use a latex enriched bottom layer at all. It would give you
a baseline for comparison.

Guessing is how we come up with ideas, but testing them is how we
find out if the ideas are any good. Once the samples are fully cured
and dried, you could set the bottom layer of each one into a shallow
(1/4"??) puddle. Let them sit there for a few days. Saw them in
half and measure how far up water has wicked into each sample.

I also recommend using a mix that has extra cement for that first
inch or two.

I'll be very interested in what you learn. I like the concept.

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "ElfNori" <elf@...> wrote:
>
><snip>
>
> If I make the first batch with latex and lay that on my ferrocement
floor, will that help prevent wicking of water from the ferrocement
floor to the papercrete walls? If the layer is 2-4" deep and allowed
to thoroughly dry before more papercrete is added . . . ? Thoughts?
Opinions? Best guesses? Suggestions?



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/