Thursday, February 21, 2008

[papercreters] Re: Can papercrete be used in latex concrete molds?

Thanks, Mikey, Slurry, Curtis and Frank for all your comments and
insights into this approach to using my molds. It gives me hope I may
be able to handle some of the weight problems afterall. I'll take
that advice on packing and protecting my hands and I'll be looking
for the book. You guys are great and very helpful! Appreciate you!
Lynda

In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Mikey Sklar <sklarm-yahoo@...> wrote:
>
> I recommend checking out the new book by George Nez and Albert
Knott
> "Latex Concrete Habitat". Lots of fascinating structures and
thoughts
> behind mixing cement and latex paint. No mention of paper in his
book,
> but it would give you a head start.
>
> When working with cement and lime vinegar can be a great friend.
The
> acidity neutralizes the base of cement/lime. I keep a spray bottle
> full of vinegar and regularly spray my hands through out the day.
I
> also use vinegar on my tools, laundry and work area cleanup in
general.
>
> On Feb 21, 2008, at 6:40 AM, "slurryguy" <slurryguy@...> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps the most simple method I suggest to utilize these type
of
> > molds
> > would be to make an extremely thick slurry. If you can get the
> > consistency to approach modeling clay, it would be best.
> >
> > That would allow you to pack all the details of the mold, then
pack
> > the
> > bulk of the mold, then be able to almost immediately unmold it
onto a
> > screen or sand bed. This will allow it to dry properly.
> >
> > I have not used papercrete in this manner, so I don't know for
certain
> > how well it will work.
> >
> > Safety tip: Using this technique will probably require you to do
a
> > lot
> > of details with your hands in the slurry. WEAR RUBBER GLOVES.
For
> > those that aren't already aware, cement and lime can severely dry
out
> > your skin and in some cases cause burns. At best it is
unpleasant, at
> > worst it can cause serious injury. Latex kitchen work gloves
are
> > cheap
> > and commonly available. If you have a latex allergy, I'm sure
there
> > are some other options on the market.
> >
> > --- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "Lynda" <wimple6th@> wrote:
> >>
> >> I've enjoyed reading the thread concerning papercrete and
> >> modeling/sculpting. That is my area of interest.
> >>
> >> I also have a number of concrete molds for lawn sculpture. Can
> >> papercrete be used in those molds to make lighter weight
statuary?
> > The
> >> molds are mostly latex with fiberglass backing.
> >>
> >> Any thoughts or experience with this?
> >>
> >> Thanks, Lynda
> >>
> >> P.S. Carol: your angel and mushrooms look great!
> >>
> >
> >
> >
> >
> >
> > Yahoo! Groups Links
> >
> >
> >
> >
>



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/