Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Re: [papercreters] Gabions+Papercrete

What about a gambion footer under a concrete stemwall. The stemwall
wouldn't have to be very tall. I'm building on the top of a ridge with a
pretty good dropoff on the backside . . . I need someone who's an expert at
gambion foundations to look at where I'm building and yeah or nay it for the
app.

I'm with you on the "hate drywall" bit.

ElfN

----- Original Message -----
From: "canineaficionado" <danceswithdachshunds@comcast.net>

> Nori just mentioned gabions (rubble foundations)- I'd like to throw my
> 2 cents in here. Mike and I are planning on building our curved wall
> retirement home using gabions as the wall system. Hesco makes a
> partitioned gabion that is 3 feet wide, one foot of which can hold a
> decorative facing material like brick or flat rock. My idea is to fill
> the interior portion with river rock and fill the exterior one foot
> section with papercrete. (It will have to be lined to keep the
> papercrete from flowing through the grid.) That would give us 2 feet of
> thermal mass on the inside and one foot of insulation on the outside.
> The skill level is very low- a real bonus for us.
>
> This would not appeal to everyone. I LOVE rock- I HATE drywall, so this
> is the perfect solution for me. The gabions have some structural
> strength to them, plus the rock will add some stability. We'll add a
> poured concrete bond beam to the top of the wall. For the foundation,
> we might use a frost protected shallow foundation (FPSF) instead of
> more gabions. We're still in the first planning stages.


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/