Tuesday, February 19, 2008

[papercreters] Re: PC for patching hole in bricks?

Well, it is too late to follow that advice...but thanks, SG.
Besides, if I started to chisel and re-mortar, it would be a worse
looking hole and there is no brick to match the ugly stuff I have on my
house. I have NO skills, nor does the DH, when it comes to that sort
of stuff. I have to look for things I can do on my own, even if it
turns out to be a temporary solution.

Being an impetuous sort I made up a batch of something that probably
more closely resembles paperadobe and used that. It has paper,
a "clay/shay" mix (dry powder that can made into a slurry all the way
up to a stiff clay mixture from Aves) , some softened paperclay (with
the volcanic ash), some sand and some acrylic paint mixed in with it.
It was stiff enough to form into a brick shape in my hand and hold the
shape.

The hole, not actually fist sized since my small handed fist would fit
through it, was stuffed with a bit of plastic as a vapor guard and then
stuffed with a bit of newspaper for the mix to cling to.

The mixture was made very stiff and was easy to push into the hole and
then use my finger to get it out of the existing mortar joints. From a
distance it is pretty good looking. Up close, I'll need to mix a wash
of paint and play with the color a bit. Also a couple of coats of an
exterior matte varnish for extra protection will be put on it.

The result of this impetuosity was also a batch of something that looks
like papercrete, sans crete, as I didn't have any of that.
I did get a feel for the watery, oatmeal-like texture, the runoff, the
slumpage/non slumpage when a mold form was put on a small bed of sand
vs no sand, as well as shaping some of this over a styrofoam egg.

It is a beautiful sunny, breezy day here in Alabama and I wanted to
take advantage of the situation.

I'll get it covered up before the big bad wolf comes and finds the hole
in my brick armor!



Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/