Friday, February 22, 2008

[papercreters] introduction and a question or two

hello all,

new to the forum and my first post. what a wealth of info here!!

a quick background on our project..... we're currently in construction
on a series of earthbag structures (as well as a 2.5 meter high
perimeter lot wall) in southern baja. the first structure which is
going up now is a small (approx 5 meters diameter) circular casita for
which we plan to have a semi open roof deck (it will have half walls
and a covered shade roof). the roof/deck layers will consist of
simple floor joist framing, decking (likey reclaimed pallet wood), an
epdm 60mil rubber roof (wrapping up over the parapets) and some sort
of walking surface ontop of the rubber roof. there will be drainage
ports and the floor will have a minimun drainage pitch)

there are commerical rubber roof pavers (lightweight and interlocking)
but they're very expensive and not available where we are.

which is what brought me to papercrete. it would seem at first glance
a great material for making a lightweight paver for this application.
the roof joists can be engineered for whatever load we require (the
less the better though) so while we could use concrete pavers, it
would result in a lot of extra framing. the live load on the surface
won't ever exceed 3-4 people at once.

I realize that papercrete can have moisture issues, and although we're
in a very dry climate most of the year, we do have a couple of months
of intermittent rain plus the occasional hurricane.

I do plan to make some tests of various papercrete mixes myself, but I
was hoping to tap into this wonderful site and it's well of knowledge
if I could.

any suggestions on mixes for this application? additives? I want to
stay as green (and as cheap) as possible but if I needed to use some
sort of sealer or poly or resin I wouldn't be opposed.

I suppose insulation value isn't my main concern, but rather strengh
and water resistance.

sorry for such a long post, and I really appreciate any insights you
all can offer. I did search the archives (and found tons of useful
stuff) but nothing specfic to this possbile use.

thanks!!

lucas


Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join

(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
mailto:papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
mailto:papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:

http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/