Monday, October 29, 2007

Re: [papercreters] Blade surprise

Well I am going to town today guess it is time to get another blade and grab the welder when I get back. I think I need to try this on my oval tank well get get back to the group on it thanks again,
Ken

Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:
I mix pretty thick most of the time, so don't get much vortex cone. I generally fill the mixer with dry paper, turn on the water, and start mixing. By the time the mixer is full the paper is pretty well pulped. The new blade does seem to keep the pc flowing better, and pulp the paper faster. The new blades have a deeper twist on the ends intended to lift grass, and since I'm running them counterclockwise this pushes the pc down, adding to the movement

When I mixed a load with bamboo a few days ago using the old blade, I got some leaves tangled on the blades. Today I used bamboo again with the new blade and none stuck at all. Haven't tried anything else except recycled pc from a dome that was dismantled, and a stack of newspaper. Oh yeah, I did throw three tumbleweeds into one load. They disappeared quickly.   : )
       Spaceman    All opinions expressed or implied  are subject to change without notice  upon receipt of new facts.    


ken bolin wrote:
Do you get a better vortex and does it collect more or less on the blades such as phone splines etc.
Nothing fancy, just two blades welded at right angles and then two tips bent upwards. I didn't get the 45 degrees I wanted, more like 30 degrees, but it works well.

http://files.starship-enterprises.net/papercrete/new%20blade%201.jpg
http://files.starship-enterprises.net/papercrete/new%20blade.jpg
       Spaceman    All opinions expressed or implied  are subject to change without notice  upon receipt of new   facts.  


ken bolin wrote:
Well I for one am glad you missed the fling ok to the meat, pictures we/I must have picturesss of the new blade setup. Please thank ya.
Well, when I installed the new blade and started filling the mixer, leaking water helped me find a new hole a couple of inches above the bottom on the side towards the dome. The hole is the right size for the blade to have passed through lengthwise, but I haven't found the piece of metal yet.

Lesson learned - check your blade for stress cracks every few hundred loads, or more often to be safe. If it'll penetrate the side of my mixer, I'm sure it would hurt if it hit a person.

The new blade is more of a "  V  " shape, with the bottom blades left flat and the top blades bent upwards. They are welded at 90 degrees to each other, too. It worked well on the first load. It seems that the top blade shoots the material into the bottom blade, moving the mix more efficiently than the single blade ever did.
       Spaceman    All opinions expressed or implied  are   subject to change without notice  upon receipt of new facts.    


ken bolin wrote:
Hey now ya got some rebar in there. It is creepy, let us know how the blender idea works been thinking about that myself.

Spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:
Yesterday afternoon I emptied my mixer to find that half of my blade was missing! I did notice a little vibration while mixing, but attributed it to a lump stuck on the blade, as sometimes happens. No hole in the side of the mixer, and the missing part is nowhere to be found, so I assume it is in the wall that I am slipforming.

It was a 20" lawn mower blade that has been in use for over six years, well over five hundred loads. I just got home from a hardware store where I bought two identical blades that I plan to put in an "X" configuration to see if I can get more efficient mixing. I'll also bend one of the blades upward to resemble a blender blade.
--              Spaceman    All opinions expressed or implied  are subject to change without notice  upon receipt of new facts.      http://starship-enterprises.net  http://starship-enterprises.com    

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com

__________________________________________________
Do You Yahoo!?
Tired of spam? Yahoo! Mail has the best spam protection around
http://mail.yahoo.com __._,_.___

Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___