Sunday, July 1, 2012

Re: [papercreters] Re: Compressing Wet Papercrete



I have never seen any evidence that compressing pc will increase the insulation value, either. Slurry guy did some primitive tests years ago that seemed to indicate that. There are so many factors that could have affected results, like water soaking into the pc from the melting ice at different rates. Like you, I don't see how adding a lot of low R value material can fail to lower the overall R value. I would like to see lab tests confirming that. I have always recommended mineral fill to increase compressive strength but with a decrease in R value. If I am wrong, I'll have to change my methods. Sand is dirt cheap here, my property is covered with nothing else!


On 7/1/2012 3:27 PM, Donald Miller wrote:
     I have found that adding sand and light aggregate does not work all that well in the tow mixer. True, it does allow the paper to pulp, but the heavy stuff is overly proportionate in the bottom of the mix and the top does not have nearly as much of said sand and light aggregate. I use heavy cardboard and quit using cement and sand/aggragate as by allowing the water to drain out of the block forms and then packing it well with a 2X4 tamper I get a very solid block with very little shrinkage. They actually seem to be harder than the blocks I made with cement and aggregate. AND, they are very light and easy to handle.
     I'm still skeptical about the insulative qualities being the same for an all paper block vs. a 50/50 paper to aggregate mix. The half of the mix that is sand/aggregate can not have the same R value as paper so how can the resulting block/pour be higher in R value than straight paper/cardboard?

--- On Sun, 7/1/12, spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net> wrote:

From: spaceman <Spaceman@starship-enterprises.net>
Subject: Re: [papercreters] Re: Compressing Wet Papercrete
To: papercreters@yahoogroups.com
Date: Sunday, July 1, 2012, 12:19 PM

 
This has never been an issue for me. I add portland on top of the pulp and a couple of minutes of mixing gives me a very consistent mix. I do not use sand, however. Sand can be a problem, dropping into the corners and never moving again. Even then, I have watched Judith mix by putting it all in the mixer, cardboard, minerals, cement, water, and then drive it around a bit and come back with a homogenous mix.

I'm curious if others with tow mixers have had a problem?

spaceman

On 7/1/2012 9:16 AM, Clyde T. Curry wrote:
when adding mortar to the equation, I have never seen a tow mixer do a good job -


No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG - www.avg.com
Version: 2012.0.2180 / Virus Database: 2437/5105 - Release Date: 07/01/12





__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___