Tuesday, July 24, 2012

[papercreters] Re: Slip Form Follow-up Question

>>it sounds like you are wanting to make it then move it<<

Yes. Let me start from the beginning.

I'm working on a prototype DIY heater design. Think of it as an insulated kiln, but no flame and 160F max.

I'd like to use papercrete in order to keep my material costs low, my recycled content high, and because it can be molded, cut, built up, etc.

I need to construct four 5' x 5' walls with a minium R-value of 24. There's a lot of tolerances in my design, so the walls can be made from small blocks, large blocks, or as modular units.

I also need to construct a R-24 "top" and a R-12 "floor".

The heater won't be mobile, but it's not being built in-situ, and as a prototype, I expect to assemble and disassemble it several times.

I had really hoped to be able to construct the insulated shell out of large PC blocks. But my first test blocks have been a disappointment. Part of the problem was the ground and tarp on which I had poured them, but I also think the high humidity where I live is another factor.

So, I'm now considering building the walls as units using slip forming or PC-filled frames. But they will have to be movable and I hoped to be able to finish them by mid-August so I can have a working prototype by fall.

>> but it takes months to dry all the way if you are making it 12" thick. <<

That's what I was afraid of. While my walls don't have to be 12" thick, nor built as a single layer, but I need usable blocks/panels in about 4 weeks.

While I think PC would still work, if not the best overal material, I suspect I'm asking too much from it in too little time.

So unless someone has some other tips or tricks, I may have to opt for conventional materials this time and re-visit the PC at a later date.

Dan


--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Ron Richter <ronerichter@...> wrote:
>
> Hi Dan,
> If you got the impression that you could only use slip-forming to make your structure in a humid environment, I apologize for being misunderstood.  All the methods will work, all will take a long time to dry, and from your question it sounds like you are wanting to make it then move it.  Using any method, it will take weeks to dry enough to move safely (without damage to the papercrete).  Is the "wall unit" you speak of going to be moved often or just once to get in in-situ? Are you making more than one 5'X5'X1' horizontal "highly insulated" panel?  Do these have to move also?  You can do what you suggested with your horizontal panel, build it vertically, then lay it over on its side.  Slip-forming gets rid of some of the steps and leaves a fairly uniform end product, but it takes months to dry all the way if you are making it 12" thick.
> Hope this helps.
> Ron



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/