Tuesday, July 24, 2012

[papercreters] Fire proof???? Slip Form Follow-up Question




Hi All
 
We lost all in the range fire in Nebraska Sandhills, now wondering if we will ever build above ground again. 
 
It is now headed toward Valentine and it is 112 here today. 
 
They will not allow us in yet so we will never know if our kitties made it or not.
 
Our earth bag cellar is maybe workable, but I do not want to build in that spot again.
 
It melted our canoe it burned under our storage units and I lost all of my Dad's cowboy/RR museum and all of my heritage.
 
We are just sick and our insuance is being jerks. 
 
Trying to find my husband a place to live as right now without water, with out fences and with out the fire being gone we can not go back out.
 
Please pray for rain and for the firefighters as they labor in this intense heat.
 
I try to hit town and do an up date when i can. We are down by the river now and have no signal.
Last night we awakened at 3 am and the smoke was so bad, the fires are burning in so many different places and the canyons make it worse at they have a life all their own.
 
So we were going to start a paper crete house in the next year but now I am so scared that I am not sure what to do.
 
Calle

 


Dan,

(From reading others experience, not personal experience.)

To get the quick drying time, you will need to make small blocks. Maybe no more than 3 inches thick.

You will not be able to dry your roof elements in time, so to get the prototype built, you will need to use 2x4s, fiberglass insulation, tin roofing, etc for the roof. I hope to build a papercrete roof system, so I think that is possible, but it will require lengthy drying time.

I believe small blocks would work for the floor and walls. I believe that the floor would not be walkable, but could provide the R value you need. Maybe you could put down temporary boards to walk on when loading and unloading the kiln.

To improve the drainage from PC blocks, some people use shade cloth on the ground and then put the blocks on top. I would suggest trying 6" welded wire mesh, topped with 1" welded wire mesh, topped with two layers of shade cloth. (If you try something to improve drainage and drying, please let us know how it works. I am in a humid environment also and need to work out a way to dry blocks.)

Good luck. Please let us know what you try and what your results are.

Bobby

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, "trendawareness" <trendlinesystems@...> wrote:
>
> In response to my earlier questions, the slip-forming proponents have indicated that it's the only way to make large blocks or wall units in a humid environment.
>
> My understanding is that a slip-formed wall unit will be usable within a day or two after the final layer has been poured.
>
> With that said, I've started to assemble some framework for my wall panels that I'll fill-in with papercrete using slip-forming techniques.
>
> But my project also requires highly insulated 5' L x 5' W x 1' H horizontally oriented panels.
>
> My question is, being in a humid environment, what's the best way to make a large, horizontal, papercrete component?
>
> Can I make them vertically using slip-forming techniques then roll it horizontally?
>
> If so, do I need to wait several weeks for the unit to dry, or being slip formed, can a unit be placed horizontally after a few days?
>
> Thanks
>
> Dan
>



__._,_.___


Your email settings: Individual Email|Traditional
Change settings via the Web (Yahoo! ID required)
Change settings via email: Switch delivery to Daily Digest | Switch to Fully Featured
Visit Your Group | Yahoo! Groups Terms of Use | Unsubscribe

__,_._,___