Sunday, July 22, 2012

[papercreters] Re: PC & Fiberglass

Barry and all:

I have not yet seen the fiberglass. My neighbor, who works at the plant, has promised to bring me a 5 gallon bucket.

But what I'm told is that it's the ground waste from the making of fiberglass bathroom wall board.

Apparently someone at the plant had a similar idea to use it with concrete and had taken the 1-3 inch waste strips and ground them, and then filled barrels with the stuff. The barrels purportedly weigh about 300 lb each.

But for some reason there was no follow-through and the barrels are still lying around full of ground fiberglass.

I'm familiar with paracrete and I'll go back and check my materials to see how fiberglass was used in their mixes.

I do recall reading about using dishwashing soap to get the EPS beads to settle into the mix. Apparently this was not a problem after they located a source of EPS dust.

I have some uses for the water-proof paracrete, in conjunction with papercrete, but I too am having problems locating a source of waste EPS.

Thanks

Dan

--- In papercreters@yahoogroups.com, Barry Norris <barry.pomaikai@...> wrote:
>
> I think you should beware of that, as the fibers for use with concrete are
> not reactive with the cement, but glass itself may be, adversely.
> Hopefully, Clyde can shed some knowledge about that. I'd suspect it would
> be OK for cast resin items only. Anyone help Dan here?
>




------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/

<*> Your email settings:
Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/papercreters/join
(Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
papercreters-digest@yahoogroups.com
papercreters-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
papercreters-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/